Big hole on Hucklow Edge

Mark

Big collapse feature on Hucklow Edge

1475825_10202551460338021_1010711083_n.jpg

1525389_10202551460378022_1543154324_n.jpg

1535570_10202551460418023_815870918_n.jpg

nickwilliams

Wendy's a brave girl standing there - I told Zak he wasn't allowed near it!

It's directly over Milldam Mine. It's not cave related.

Roger W

That's impressive!

What's at the bottom of the hole?  (Apart from photographers who went too close...)

braveduck

What an unfortunate incident! There is a live  planning application to reopen Milldam Mine at this time ,Sept /Oct/Nov.

dunc

Blimey, that's a sizeable collapse. Was there any sign of impending collapse or did it just appear?

kroca

This looks like one of the big Stope`s in Slaters engine mine has run in ,don`t  think its in Milldam,  hope not, i will have a look in the morning .

Pitlamp

Blimey - that looks like the sort of thing that normally only happens in places like China.

Careful Wendy - we'd not want to lose you!

Mark

kroca said:
This looks like one of the big Stope`s in Slaters engine mine has run in ,don`t  think its in Milldam,  hope not, i will have a look in the morning .

Yes you can just see Slaters Engine Shaft to the left of the building in the bottom Photo

bograt

How does this relate to the discoveries made on the latest Credit Crunch ?, looks like an alternative entrance has half dug itself!

Rob

bograt said:
How does this relate to the discoveries made on the latest Credit Crunch ?, looks like an alternative entrance has half dug itself!
There are already closer entrances...

grahams

Rob said:
I'm suprised fracking hasn't been blamed (yet)!

graham said:
So, what did cause the collapse then? Giant moles?
Mine collapse below.

It's only a matter of time. There's some twit in the comments section following the Mail article asking if fracking was involved.

Peter Burgess

The balance of probability is that it was indeed ground saturation due to heavy rainfall that precipitated the collapse. That's how countless crownholes are formed over old workings, and I have seen several modest examples of this after similar wet periods. The mechanism for crownhole formation is well documented, and ground saturation plays its part.