Oxlow

nigel n

Anyone who has read the local press recently will be aware of the misfortune that has befallen the owners of Oxlow farm, evidenced by the lack of stock in the fields - a sad reflection on the plight of many hill farmers.  Visiting cavers need to be especially tactful and make sure they call at the farm and pay the traditional trespass fee.

Katie

Banned from keeping stock for 10 years and also a big fine for leaving rotten carcasses lying on the land

Madness

Katie said:
Banned from keeping stock for 10 years and also a big fine for leaving rotten carcasses lying on the land

I'm surprised he didn't drop the carcasses down an old mineshaft ;)

I for one have no sympathy

nigel n

Madness said:
Katie said:

I'm surprised he didn't drop the carcasses down an old mineshaft ;)

I for one have no sympathy

Most cavers are (relatively) affluent and after a few hours playing underground get in their nice warm car and return speedily to a centrally heated susburban home.  Many have no idea of the pressures faced by struggling upland farmers and would be wise to reserve judgement until they have experienced something of the lifestyle themselves.  Katie has understated the level of punishment imposed and I for one feel it is a sad refelection on a society that imposes harsh penalties on those who are struggluing whilst offereing leniency to those who commit violent crime or crime against children.

I can understand how someone in this situation might wish to exclude visitors (eg cavers) from the land.  Also, if a farmer cannot use land is is ofeten leased to someone else (who might be less welcoming to said cavers)

Rob

EwanCameron said:
Of they can not farm the land they may rent/sell it!

We may see access issues then !
Change of hands could be bad, but could also be an opportunity to encourage the lifting of current fee....

Bottlebank

It looks like a very sad story and there's probably more to it than we'll ever know.

Perhaps the best thing we could do is leave it be, rather than making light of it or worrying about a few quid entrance fee.

paul

Bottlebank said:
It looks like a very sad story and there's probably more to it than we'll ever know.

Perhaps the best thing we could do is leave it be, rather than making light of it or worrying about a few quid entrance fee.

Agreed.

Pipster

paul said:
Bottlebank said:

Agreed.

Ditto.

david3392

paul said:
Bottlebank said:

Agreed.

The 2 partner/farmers are regular customers of mine and there is indeed more to this than some forum members will know. Wingeing over a few quid and sarcastic comments is pretty mean-spirited at the present time.

Mark

david3392 said:
paul said:
Bottlebank said:

Agreed.

The 2 partner/farmers are regular customers of mine and there is indeed more to this than some forum members will know. Wingeing over a few quid and sarcastic comments is pretty mean-spirited at the present time.

Roy and Jenny were very helpful when we did the credit crunch expedition a couple of years ago, even though things were quite tough for them.

I cant condone what has happened but lets not make it any more difficult for them.

martinm

Katie said:

Mark said:
I cant condone what has happened but lets not make it any more difficult for them.

Did you know, it actually costs farmers money to get carcasses taken away and disposed of? I can't remember the exact figure, but I'm pretty sure it's around ?50 an animal. Hill farmers can't afford it!

That is why dozens of dead sheep got chucked in a cave entrance (I will not name) in my area (Manifold), along with bits of metal and broken glass and orange plastic twine.

I took on the lovely job of removing them all, a few years ago, bags and bags of 'stuff',  :thumbsdown: which would have cost the farmers a fortune. The cave concerned is now clean and back to it's natural state. 8)

Anyone remember the rotting carcass(es) down down Cascade Cavern years ago? I certainly do, it/they stunk. Then there was the one dumped in the entrance of Boulder Pot years ago which a friend of mine had to remove to regain entrance to the cave.

Then the sheep carcasses dumped in Mam Tor Swallet back in the 80's. I think I still  have a photo of that too.

Spare a thought for our hill farmers! If we help them, they will help us, end of.  :coffee:

Regards Mel. DCA Conservation Officer.

david3392

Apologies gents. The 'sarcastic comments' I was referring to are on a related but separate thread. I daresay the same people have read both threads anyway but you get my drift.

pwhole

Me and some other TSG cavers once spent a very unsettling 20 minutes at Oxlow entrance shaft watching an adult sheep slowly die of hypothermia - that cold winter 3 years ago. It was absolutely freezing, and the sheep was sat bolt upright, eyes open, just...chillin'. Not very pleasant - it had obviously got into the hollow to try and get out of the wind, and now didn't have the strength to get back into the sun. Stepped over plenty more corpses up there in various degrees of decomposition. So I can understand why it's happened, but, without knowledge of the back-story, I'm loath to criticise.

And they have always been wonderful to us as cavers - we've always got changed in the barn and parked in the yard for an extra quid - for the group, not each. Blissful, even with the cow-shit. Even the dog eventually stopped barking at us, which felt like a major success. The one at Rowter Farm hasn't yet, but it will...

Anyway, given they do so much for cavers, wouldn't it be possible for DCA-affiliated clubs (and connected individuals) to possibly organise a whip-round? We could collect quite a bit, and just give it to them as a token of our esteem for past use, and also as a quite naked (but well-meant) bribe to keep access open whilst they decide what they're doing. I'll raise it at the TSG monthly meeting tonight and see what folks think. And in the meantime, what does anyone else think?

david3392

pwhole said:
Me and some other TSG cavers once spent a very unsettling 20 minutes at Oxlow entrance shaft watching an adult sheep slowly die of hypothermia - that cold winter 3 years ago. It was absolutely freezing, and the sheep was sat bolt upright, eyes open, just...chillin'. Not very pleasant - it had obviously got into the hollow to try and get out of the wind, and now didn't have the strength to get back into the sun. Stepped over plenty more corpses up there in various degrees of decomposition. So I can understand why it's happened, but, without knowledge of the back-story, I'm loath to criticise.

And they have always been wonderful to us as cavers - we've always got changed in the barn and parked in the yard for an extra quid - for the group, not each. Blissful, even with the cow-shit. Even the dog eventually stopped barking at us, which felt like a major success. The one at Rowter Farm hasn't yet, but it will...

Anyway, given they do so much for cavers, wouldn't it be possible for DCA-affiliated clubs (and connected individuals) to possibly organise a whip-round? We could collect quite a bit, and just give it to them as a token of our esteem for past use, and also as a quite naked (but well-meant) bribe to keep access open whilst they decide what they're doing. I'll raise it at the TSG monthly meeting tonight and see what folks think. And in the meantime, what does anyone else think?

Count me in.

G. Hardwick

A nice idea Phil. I can`t wait to read the contributions from the usual suspects (no Derbyshire cavers among them so far as I know).