Cavers cafes and pubs in the Peak District

terry-w

Hi all,

Am heading up to Derbyshire in a few weekends time and wondered if there was an equivalent to Hunters, Bernies cafe, Helwith etc in the Peak District.  This is a family trip to Chatsworth etc so no caving unless I can persuade them on a tourist trip down peak cavern, but would like to check out the scene!
cheers, Terry. 

T pot 2

Try the Red Lion at Litton nr Tideswell very caver friendly, the foods great and Suzie serves real ale.

Brains

The Smithy cafe in Monyash is good, as is the Miners Standard at Winster.
The Wanted Inn at Sparrowpit used to be very good but changed hands reccently, and IMO the beers are not kept very well...

zippy

Will second the good vibes for the Smithy at Monyash, the Red Lion at Litton, and the Miners at Winster.  Cath at the Cock n Pullet, Sheldon, has always done us proud too.  And the new owners of the Barley Mow at Bonsall seem more than happy to supply chip cobs apres-speleo.  (They also have Wirkswirth Brewery's t'owd man on at the moment, and a beer fest coming up soon)

Z!

terry-w

Sounds like a good range of pubs. We are staying near Winster so the standard might be a good one.    How about cafes? 

Where does the average peak district caver get their breakfast?  Is there an equivalent to Bernies for a bacon bap and cave-related chat?  From my limited knowledge Castelton seems to be the caving centre, though have only really passed through. 

Brains

For a bacon bap the shop opposite the bus station in Castleton is good, another bacon butty emporium is found in Bradwell, and of course the Smithy cafe in Monyash again.
I believe camping is allowed at the Miners Standard, and I guess a breakfast could be obtained by prior arrangement. If you are in self catering, get a pan and some piggy cholesterol bits for a DIY heart attack on a plate!

caving_fox

Is the Grindleford Station cafe still going? We've eaten there for a few breakfasts especially if someone needs to go to HitchnHike on the way back. Otherwise we'd normally cook our own at the TSG.

terry-w

You mistake my motivation - I was more interested in the caver part than the breakfast part -virtual caving IYSWIM.  I sound like a right sad git but a trip to Bernies cafe, supping my pint of tea next to a survey, flicking through a copy of descent and passing the time of day with fellow cavers, in some small way makes up for the fact that the weekend was stricktly given over to family time, and the next best thing to actually caving.  Wondered if there was a Derbyshire equivalent as a counterpoint to dragging myself round Chatsworth house all day.

paul

No, there are no real equivalents to Bernies in the Peak. Excellent cafes exist (as already recommended) and excellent pubs but we really don't have the equivalent of The Hunters Lodge Inn on Mendip or Bernies in the Dales to which all local cavers go and meet.

Perhaps that's because we're usually underground? :)

ttxela

Brains said:
For a bacon bap the shop opposite the bus station in Castleton is good, another bacon butty emporium is found in Bradwell, and of course the Smithy cafe in Monyash again.
I believe camping is allowed at the Miners Standard, and I guess a breakfast could be obtained by prior arrangement. If you are in self catering, get a pan and some piggy cholesterol bits for a DIY heart attack on a plate!

Camping is definitely allowed at the Miners Standard, used to be allowed at the Barley Mow too, not sure now the landlord has changed.

underground

Brains said:
the shop opposite the bus station in Castleton

last time I went in were arseholes. Couldn't be bothered to make a cheese salad sarnie 'we've got cheese n ham' (wrapped in cling film under the counter).

Cunts.

bubba

Administrator
Brendan said:
Grindleford station cafe unchanged - was there 2 weeks ago. Excellent place
Dreadful service, ripoff prices, generally bad attitude last time I went. Has it changed or something?

JAM

I've always found Grindleford Station cafe to offer great service for a great price and what i'd call great outdoor food. It's always set me up for the day and i've been going to that place for the past 20 years.

But I suppose what suits ones taste isn't always reflected by another.

Rich

j4nny

Slight variation on the theme but does anyone know of any good ?on route? pit stops / truckers cafes when travelling up and down the country where you can get a good cuppa tea and a bacon butty ? I hate stopping at services.