Dinah Rose QC even surer that caves covered by CROW after Notts 2 trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Rose

What better way to start the New Year than a trip down Notts 2 - with son, niece, brother-in-law and his wife, my sister Dinah Rose QC? This was her first time underground for many years (she had as a student sampled Swildon's and Aggie with another Rose caving sibling, Phil) and she loved it, although it was very wet on the way out.

And having done the trip, she said she felt more convinced than ever that caving does count in law as an outdoor recreational pursuit, in the open air, as defined by the CROW Act and its long pre-history. So much so that in her view, if it ever were to come to a court case, the way to ensure victory would be to take the judge caving, too. For caving not to be covered by CROW is, she said, "totally bonkers".

We're hoping that Badlad will join us next time - we'll plan it a bit further in advance.

ALEXW

For caving not to be covered by CROW is, she said, "totally bonkers".

and on that superb bit of summing up the case rests?

Really?

tony from suffolk

Yep, your sister's summed it up very well David. Of course it's bonkers! My experience of QCs (quite a lot actually) is that they tend to be pretty sensible folk.

martinm

I do wish people would stop bickering on here. Thanks for that post David. The QC worked through 70 pages of documentation before issuing her original opinion and her recent trip has reinforced that view. I'm sure a judge would regard her opinions and research as a lot more relevant than those of most of the people on here. I also think think her idea of taking the judge caving is an excellent one. It would be very educational for them and reinforce the view of caving being an open air/outdoor pursuit.

:coffee:

NigR

Good posts from David, Tony and Mel (as per usual).

Just ignore the other three (as per usual).

Status
Not open for further replies.