First ever trip report

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Chris Scaife has kindly let me use this for the forum - his first ever trip report  ;)

wl

Alex

I like how Chris is using a tambourine to go caving, perhaps we can learn something from that.

scurve

As the author of this masterpiece, I should perhaps point out that I am now a fully grown adult who writes in straight lines. I do, however, still draw rocks exactly like this on surveys.

Mr Dinwiddy

Hi Chris,
Is this a version of Wezzit ?
Looking at the shape and size of the roof and the dimension of the boulders I would guess that your holiday was to France and you visited the Grotte de Bournillion ?

mrodoc

I found a diary entry the other day. I had just turned thirteen and was digging in the caves in Chard. The entry refers to a boulder needing to be shifted. We used those Price's candles then. Shame the rock wasn't limestone - the caves were slip rifts or from old quarrying.  It was another 3 years before we got to dig in a proper limestone cave on the Quantocks thanks to the Old Ruminator.

Pitlamp

scurve said:
As the author of this masterpiece, I should perhaps point out that I am now a fully grown adult who writes in straight lines. I do, however, still draw rocks exactly like this on surveys.

:LOL:

By pure chance I have my own caving diaries in front of me (to look something up for someone). So I glanced at what I wrote about my own first proper trip in a real limestone cave. I was 14 and was with a school friend of a similar age - unsupervised by anyone else. The trip was to Dow Cave; the entry says: "Went as far as Hobson's Choice. Turned back because we couldn't find the way and had only one grotty light each. Met two hikers and they came with us."

Perhaps it's just as well that we didn't find the way . . .  :-\

mrodoc

The first time we did Swildons I was fifteen and a bit like Pitlamp en route to the cave we picked up somebody who wanted to do some caving. He was called Gerald Foster. I wonder what happened to him? The trip was memborable in that my father had visited Luke Devenish for advice and he gave a blow by blow account of doing Upper Series complete with sketches. We didn't take the paper with us and all the way round everything looked slightly like Luke had described but not. We got out of the cave and when I got home and looked up our route realised we had done it in reverse to his description!

scurve

scurve said:

I'm still trying to work out where this was; I think it might have been Dow Cave.

ZombieCake

Is this another National Geographic article?  Cave is big enough to hopefully make it past the picture desk.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
ZombieCake said:
Is this another National Geographic article?  Cave is big enough to hopefully make it past the picture desk.

No, Chris's writing is much better :)