"The Coffin"

gus horsley

I was talking to a friend at work yesterday who remembers going caving in "a place near the Lake District" - presumably the Dales.  She then went on about doing a cave with a squeeze in it called "The Coffin" and asked me if I'd done it.  For the life of me I can't think of a cave with a feature of that name except Mohammed's Coffin in Weathercote cave but I don't think it's that one.  Anyone got any ideas?

gus horsley

whitelackington said:
Goatchurch, burrington
The Coffin Lid ;)

Thanks for that Whitelackington.  She might live in Cornwall but her geography's not that bad.  Still it's the only one I've got at the moment.

Peter Burgess

An alternative - perhaps an old copper mine in the Lake Distict with a narrow coffin level. Goldscope Mines come to mind, or perhaps an old part of the Coniston mines.

L

Limestone_Cowboy

Of course theres plenty of coffin levels in the peak as well and thats not too far from the lakes

gus horsley

I thought of coffin levels too but she was certain it was a cave, and it had a traverse in it and a short free climb.  Still can't think which one it was though, but thanks for your input so far.

SamT

I can imagine some cave leaders sometimes might make up names for squeezes - pitches - climb etc when they are leading school parties etc. Lend the trip some air of adventure etc.
"The coffin" does seem a bit cruel though doesnt it.

M

mudman

In Rhaeardr Ddu in South Wales there is a small area after the initial entrance crawl where you crawl under a large boulder that is held up by a small acro. This is called The Coffin. It's a bit nearer to the Lake District but I suspect not quite near enough. I believe there are traverses and climbs after this but I took one look at what was after this and said 'bugger this' and 'buggered off' out.

gus horsley

AndyF said:
I've heard the flat out squeeze oxbow in Giants being called "the coffin"

Andy, I think you might have it.  She also said she did a bit of caving in the Peak District and now I'm wondering if she's got the two areas confused.  Is the Coffin a high-level oxbow?  It's so long since I've done Giants I can't remember.

AndyF

Its a small oxbow off the main trade route. Groups often send their charges round it and they pop back out a short way further on.

I can vouch that it is flippin tight...