Wetstones Swallet Staffordshire

richardg

Hi does anyone have any information on this swallet, anyone knows of anyone who has worked on it, or has an interest in doing so.

Richard.

Fishes

I assume Mel Milner had information on it but I'm not sure how much of her records were recovered when she died. Probably best to contact the library as I know Jenny had some involvement in this. The Orpheus

I would be interested in doing some work there although I don't have any transport for a few months. I do live quite locally though (in Biggin) so could potentially get a lift if people were going in the right direction.

Scud

A Cave Conservation Plan for Waterways Swallet can be downloaded from the following link: https://thedca.org.uk/publications/booklets

richardg

Thank you both Fishes and Scud
Wetstones not Waterways
Though thank you Scud for the signpost to the additional information on the nearby sites

martinb

No sooner do I post a reply and look more closely at the map, then it all comes back to me.

I didn't get as far as Wetstones, but IIRC, it's a possible feeder into the brook/stream just south of Swinscoe.

There is a large unnamed swallet just south of New House Farm, Swinscoe, by a public footpath, which swallows a substantial stream, there is a body sized gap that could be pushed in said swallet.

The stream is a bit weird as there are sinks and risings virtually the whole length, presumably some act as estavels - both sinks and risings. A giveaway is a hill called Limestone Hill on the map.

There are 2 streams east and south east of Stanton, I didn't check them for cave features, maybe worth a check.