12,000 lumens. Will it be enough?

Caver Keith

I?ve just taken delivery of a Fenix LR40R 12000 Lumen Rechargeable Searchlight - https://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-lr40r-12000-lumen-searchlight
I have been using 4 Fenix FD65 3800 lumen focusable torches as video lights with excellent results. When I say excellent results I?m talking about the lighting of course, not my videos. In my early videos, before acquiring these flashlights, I resorted to using photos by Dudley Bug and Chunky when we got to the bigger stuff. I can now light most chambers and passages adequately but occasionally I feel that a little more light would bring places like Travertine Passage and The Hall of the Mountain King in Ogof Craig A Ffynnon to life.
I?ll let you know how I get on with the LR40R once I've had a chance to test drive it underground.

Attachments

• IMG_0129 (1).jpg
    IMG_0129 (1).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2197 (1).jpg
    IMG_2197 (1).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 174

ChrisJC

I have an 11,200 lumen head-torch, and I have never felt that it is inadequate.

Chris.

royfellows

I have the Imalent DX80 at 32,000 lumens. Its 8 X Cree XHP 70 -2s.

Its more of a flood than a beam but i am extremely pleased with it as a photo lamp. Holding it at arms length to the side and use the camera on ordinary auto, I get decent pictures on a reasonably low ISO etc.

It came into its own when I was photographing mine passage in upper chest deep water. But beware the IP 68 as the charging plug is not that standard. I trashed my battery pack due to water ingress and had to get a new one.

They now have one out with a claimed 100,000 lumens which utilises heat tubes, a copper radiator, and 2 built in fans.
Rather OTT.

AR

I find that warning about not shining it for too long on flammable substances a bit alarming - please don't bring it into Cumberland Cavern while I'm on with my current graffiti removal work, as I'm using xylene to shift it and that stuff doesn't need much of an excuse to go up in flames!

ZombieCake

You can light a fire with an LED torch.  3min 50 sec in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBRUonZ_YI0

Zippos and matches have also been invented, but not quite as technical.

My 5000 lumen Maglite is looking a bit like it needs a blue pill  :cautious:

royfellows

Mine burned a hole through its holster and nearly set me on fire!
So forget the safety lock, partially unscrew the power bank, then you can be sure it wont come on.
My DX 80 has partially inspired a new caplamp design. Sealed rechargeable, 16V, charges off a 19V laptop charger etc. It has a'transport lock' locked by a split pin you remove to use the lamp, lesson learned from my DX 80 torch. Currently being tested.