Conies Dale Pot

Rob

Does anyone know if Conies Dale Pot is still open? We went looking last week but couldn't see anything at the GPS point on the DCA cave registry.

We presumed the grid reference was wrong. We therefore looked all around on Google Earth on our phones and found a potential feature nearby (highlighted below) but there is just a flat bit of land there now.

Attachments

• ConiesDale.JPG
    ConiesDale.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 361

Pitlamp

A very useful reference is Dave Elliot's Caves of Northern Derbyshire Part 1; Eldon Hill (1975).

There are actually 6 CDPs; page 2 in the above publication describes them and includes a very helpful location map (with walls marked on). Inside the back cover is a photo of the shakehole containing Pots 5 & 6, with a fairly distinctive outcrop of limestone visible.

Well worth looking this out - or if you can't get at it easily send me a normal email and I can photograph it for you.

Rob

Yup, got em. Many thanks Pitlamp.  (y)

It confirms my thoughts that we were indeed in completely the wrong field! In fact about 250m away from them! See the attached showing the line of 6 pots across the top, with the location as per the registry at the bottom.

If anyone is up there it would be worth taking a GPS and updating the cave registry.

Attachments

• ConiesDalePots.JPG
    ConiesDalePots.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 164

Pitlamp

I thought that first screenshot looked like the wrong place . . .
Anyway, glad you've got the info.

As I've said a few times on this forum over the years, that series of five parts of Dave Elliot's guide to the Caves of Northern Derbyshire is incredibly useful, especially when looking for less obvious sites. Any Peak District caving club with a library should certainly try to acquire copies.

AR

Yes, it's the Portaway Mine spar opencast.

Rob - I've got a vague recollection of Big Jim discussing Conies Dale on here ages ago, might be worth trawling through ancient Peak District threads?

Big Jim

Fat Bob, Im sure I sent you pics of what I think are a couple of CDPs last summer that Id taken one night whilst glow-worm hunting.  Think one had a bit of old iron work over it and the other was open though choked at about 2m deep if memory serves.  I think some lost year ago through spar mining/re landscaping .  Keith Joule always used to say they were worth another look at if permissions could be gained.  I'll try and check my messenger history to see if I can find them pics I sent you......

Big Jim

Sent you message Rob via FB.  Surprised Moose n Shaun haven't had a pop at them as they seem well connected with farmers up that neck of the woods. Tried to attach a photo I took of one of them last June..... bet it doesn't work though.

Attachments

• cdp.jpg
    cdp.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 480

pwhole

That's an interesting and useful-sounding feature! How do I find that on Magic Maps? I'm looking but I can't see...;)

2xw

pwhole said:
That's an interesting and useful-sounding feature! How do I find that on Magic Maps? I'm looking but I can't see...;)

You can usually get a landowner through the "Land Based Schemes" layer. Turn that layer on, go to the top of the page to the information "i" button, and click on the map, and it'll give you the scheme name and the owner. Conies dale is under an Entry Level plus Higher Level Stewardship (this means ?30 a hectare in subsidy)

Big Jim

What 2xw said Phil.  You can also see if a cave or dig site is in a SSSI or SAC etc using other mapping layers available.