A polite request to piratical cavers

Jon

Please turn up next time I have a permit for a cave.

On the last three or four trips I've done that I had a permit for, no other cavers have been there to allow me to smugly wave it around, maybe even slapping it in their faces, and ask them where their permit is. What's the point of me getting a permit if I can't feel superior about having one? The only time there was someone around was on Leck Fell when two walkers turned up. Their puzzled expressions when I asked them if they had a permit made me feel stupid.

So please, if you want to pirate a cave, look on this forum first, see if I'm going caving and turn up!

Thank you.

Jon

Don't remember the exact price but I can send you the email for the club secretary if you aren't happy with your current club?

Ian Adams

The club I am a member of had a permit a little while ago for a Dales cave and turned up to have a day's worth of adventure.

As we were kitting up, a lone man (fully kitted for SRT with ropes) with no permit turned up and asked if we minded if he double rigged everything. Of course, we didn't mind (why should we?).

Thing is, he was a digger and he was advance rigging for diggers who were going down over the following days to pursue a dig. No biggie huh ?  Well, we were on the last day of the open season for that cave so all the diggers were going down "unpermitted".

Consequences and harm?  Well, it was CRoW land for a start and, secondly, it was part of the three counties breakthrough.

Should we track down these dasterdly pirates and have them brought before the CNCC and the BCA to answer for their crimes ?

.... Oh wait, we lauded their success and showed the world what a brilliant bunch of cavers we are didn't we  ::)

:-\ :-\ :-\

Ian

Jon

Ian, hunt them down, Jack Bauer style. It's the only way.

PS. Not Jack Bauer the professional cyclist, that would be ineffective.

Alex

I believe the diggers have full permission to do what they are doing even in closed season and would have done so by negotiation but please if they don't then lets not land them in hot water otherwise there will be no new discoveries for a while! I understand your point and saying we punish some yet award others, but you may cause un-needed trouble for them as its quite easy to guess which area you mean.

P.s. We unfortunately have a permit this weekend so I am afraid you are out of luck there too.

Ian Adams

Alex,

I was being a tad sarcastic  :chair:  just making a point  ::)  I have tons of respect for diggers (because I am not one) and I could not enjoy the underworld as much as I do without them  :)

Jon,

The only common factor I share with Jack Bauer is that we are both short in height - the similarities (and abilities) end there  :cautious:

Ian

NigR

Alex,

Is there something wrong with you?

Chill out, man!

p.s. If you want some more serious reading, go to the other thread, look back at Badlad's posts and then think about what he is saying.

p.p.s. Regarding your permit for the coming weekend, are you going to do the honourable thing and make some copies before you go for all the other folk up there who won't have one? Don't be selfish and heartless by keeping it all for yourself!

Alex

I am chilled, I stopped reading that other thread ages ago, mainly cause I was caving lol. But I know exactly the point and yes the whole thing with CROW land is really silly as it is, I am just want to keep the diggers digging, without the aggro of all this crap.

As regards to the last point, if someone pays me for the paper...

NigR

Now, there's a thought.....

You could set yourself up with a nice little stall by the side of the road and make a bit of beer money!

And here's a serious suggestion for the CNCC:

Find a way (ANY way!) to make permits READILY available at SHORT notice to ANY caver who requires one. If this costs money to set up then ask for donations (per permit) to cover costs, any profit made going to CRO. There you go! You have justified your own existence, helped support your local rescue organisation and made lots of cavers happy all at once (not to mention putting an end to piracy for good).

This would at least provide an interim solution to your present problems until access to caves on CRoW becomes a political reality (as it surely one day will).

Alex

Aye thats the biggest problem, pointless getting a permit months in advance only for it to rain.

Ship-badger

I know that the OP was in jest.
Here in the Forest of Dean we were asked to help "police" the local access agreements by asking any cavers that we met if they had a permit. Naturally we told the "Cave Police" to "eff off".
The day that I ask any caver if he has a permit will be the day that I kill myself.

droid

NigR said:
And here's a serious suggestion for the CNCC:

Find a way (ANY way!) to make permits READILY available at SHORT notice to ANY caver who requires one. If this costs money to set up then ask for donations (per permit) to cover costs, any profit made going to CRO. There you go! You have justified your own existence, helped support your local rescue organisation and made lots of cavers happy all at once (not to mention putting an end to piracy for good).

This would at least provide an interim solution to your present problems until access to caves on CRoW becomes a political reality (as it surely one day will).

Damn good idea.

If commercial companies can have automated stock levels on their websites I fail to see how an internet based 'print it yourself' system wouldn't work.

Not for me though. Printer's buggered :(

RobinGriffiths

You want to package up your permits into an investment vehicle and sell them on the futures market. And consider short selling if the weather outlook is bleak.

NigR

The actual permits might have long term investment potential as collector's memorabilia, so few people seem to be bothering to apply for them that they could become an extremely rare item in years to come.

Pete Brookdale

Piracy is typically an act of robbery or criminal violence at sea. The term can include acts committed on land, in the air, online, or in other major bodies of water or on a shore. It does not normally include crimes committed against persons traveling on the same vessel as the perpetrator (e.g. one passenger stealing from others on the same vessel). The term has been used throughout history to refer to raids across land borders by non-state agents.

How can going down a cave without a permit be classed as piracy?

langcliffe

I think that you missed out the previous sentence from Wikipedia, Mr. Brookdale, which says: "This article is about maritime piracy. For other uses, see Pirate (disambiguation)."