Aberwystyth caving club next weekend

Can someone from above contact me at chris@chriscrowley.co.uk regarding the use of the Croydon cottage in ystradfellte as I`cant get a reply from the person who booked it to confirm that they have the door entry code -Thanks chris crowley (there are no contacts listed  on their web site !)

2xw

I'd probably try and catch them via facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/2356836381/

Graigwen

Chris, I think this is a replay of a problem you had the year before last?

The website is massively out of date (about 6 years, I blame Henry) and everything is arranged through the facebook group mentioned. They have been organising audio for the hut for the weekend, sounds like a good time is in prospect.

If there's anything you'd like me to update on the ACC website, let me know. It's dated, but not out of date if that makes sense.
One problem is that students don't check a club email account regularly so it's safer not to leave one up for the first point of contact (eg. I'd like to join, are you caving this weekend?). Also, the university has a habit of closing the email account over the summer break and the first thing anyone knows is a message similar to Chris'.
Once a student has emailed someone (possibly via their own account) they then think to check for replies.
It's frustrating but probably the safest way of doing it.

aricooperdavis

You could always have a little online contact form that was updated yearly with the personal account of someone responsible? Actually, by the sounds of it you could probably have an online contact form that sends requests to your email address, Sam :LOL:

Recent experience means I'm a little sceptical.

However, I couldn't do that else I'd be creating snowflakes, Ari  :halo:

Anyway, Aber love Godre Pentre and I'm sure a good weekend will be had caving and drinking thanks to the Croydon CC

Graigwen

Sam Richards said:
If there's anything you'd like me to update on the ACC website, let me know. It's dated, but not out of date if that makes sense.
One problem is that students don't check a club email account regularly so it's safer not to leave one up for the first point of contact (eg. I'd like to join, are you caving this weekend?). Also, the university has a habit of closing the email account over the summer break and the first thing anyone knows is a message similar to Chris'.
Once a student has emailed someone (possibly via their own account) they then think to check for replies.
It's frustrating but probably the safest way of doing it.

I totally accept that the Facebook page works well as a means of transferring information (that is why we post the I'r de o Draenen updates there when we are doing fieldwork), but the web site purports to be active when it is not. For instance the last time I looked the most recent trip reports were for about 2012-3 and although it mentioned the 2006 reunion (the semi-secret one few people knew about) there was no mention of the much larger 2016 reunion weekend that got the best part of a page report in Descent.

I would suggest the website just needs a once off rewrite to point users at the FB page and get rid of the stuff that will never be regularly updated even though it is designed to be. Of course the archival stuff like BIAPP remains on the website.

I agree with you comments about the University's annoying habit of suspending service at slack times with little or no warning.

I understand how you feel about the website. Yes, students just use Facebook.
I've not exactly been encouraged to spend hours on it, especially seeing as every year there's supposed to be a student for that, but I've been maintaining it.
I left the trip reports page up because although it hasn't been updated it still serves as a good example of what ACC do. And it might even encourage someone to give me an update.

I keep the site backed up so could change it entirely. But I'd rather not without input from the students and Henry has the server.

Good news though, there is a 2015 reunion page, it went up when I got the report from Dave:
http://www.abercavers.co.uk/vintage-acc/aberystwyth-caving-club-50th-anniversary-reunion/

Graigwen

Sam Richards said:
I've not exactly been encouraged to spend hours on it, especially seeing as every year there's supposed to be a student for that, but I've been maintaining it.

Good news though, there is a 2015 reunion page, it went up when I got the report from Dave:
http://www.abercavers.co.uk/vintage-acc/aberystwyth-caving-club-50th-anniversary-reunion/

Yes, there is almost always a continuity problem with a student club. I can't say I blame them for preferring caving to admin.

Thanks for the pointer to the 2016 reunion page - I had missed it as it was not linked from the home page.

Great photos, even some of Mrs Trellis!