Just thought I'd say hi

mrpatterson2011

Hi, I'm reasonably new to caving and just thought I?d introduce myself. My names Ben I?m 23 and I started caving early this year with a very tame trip to Kirkdale cave, and loved it. Since then I?ve been to crack pot, new goyden, Manchester hole, dow cave and a few other small ones.  I?m now looking for something a bit more adventurous, I really enjoy the descending and ascending part, and so I?m looking for something with large pitches.  I generally do a lot of outdoor stuff, climbing, walking, kayaking and camping.  So hopefully people can advice me on what caves to do next.  I live in north Yorkshire so caves within a few hours from there would be ideal. 

Alex

Glad you are enjoying caving so much.

As probbably mentioned many times before on this forum the best thing you can do is join a club, it opens up so much more oppertunity regards to information about caves, access to caves you cannot access without being in a club and equiptment that would cost you a fortune to buy yourself.

look at www.trycaving.com or the back of the descent magazine for a listing of clubs. Look up thier websites and see if they are what you are looking for.

In the mean time take a look at Bull Pot of the Witchs as a cave, I don't think that needs access, though the other caves in that area do. You need to be in a club to get the permit for those.

Mumtaz

Hi Ben

I'm new to caving and love to abseil too.

I would recommend you join a club as I personally found it comforting knowing I was in safe hands and with a group of people who were experienced.

I went to Yordas Cave yesterday evening with Bradford Potholing Club and it was fantastic!  I was somewhat anxious about going caving with people I didn't know but they were really friendly and welcoming.  I can't wait to go again.

Enjoy your caving and hopefully you might join us one day  :)

george

Hi,

looking at the caves you've done so far, it sounds like you're in the same area as me - I live near Northallerton and work near Thirsk. If this is the case you may want ot hook up to share lifts over to the dales as well as looking at nearer caves. Carlton Lodge near Thirsk is an outdoor centre with a load of the staff into caving so if you're nearby it may be worth getting in touch.

Cheers

George

mrpatterson2011

Hi sorry for the late reply, computer broke so I?m having to use works one for now.

Your right about me having to join a club, I've come across loads which you need a permit for and also for the experience and knowledge of the caves.

I have looked at www.trycaving.com and will contact a few of the clubs and see about joining.  The main problem I?ve got at the moment is the lad I go with works a lot and can only get a couple of days a month of work to go.

George - I live a few miles from Middlesbrough, so yer not far from you at all. I will work out where I?m going next and try and drop you and email.  However we usually go in a van which only seats two, so might be a prob there, we'll see.

Cheers