Forum maintenance later today

thesiger

We have to take the forum offline later to upgrade the server OS. Hopefully it will only take 24 hours or so. Wish us luck ...

graham

Some will know what a cat's whisker was (or will look it up on a search engine) but I wonder how many on here have actually seen one.

kay

graham said:
Some will know what a cat's whisker was (or will look it up on a search engine) but I wonder how many on here have actually seen one.

I still have one somewhere. I have never thrown away the crystal radio I had as a child.

nickwilliams

Come on Graham, it's not that long ago.... Oh, maybe it is!

As an aside, I've occasionally thought that it will be a shame that the simple pleasure of making a working radio receiver with no battery and only two or three electrical components will be denied to our children once all radio transmissions finally go FM or digital. Long live Long Wave!

Nick.

SamT

I fondly remember playing with my grandpas, god knows where it went.  Lovely thing in a polished wooden box.

Huge

SamT said:
I fondly remember playing with my grandpas, god knows where it went.  Lovely thing in a polished wooden box.

Sam, for those of us who have no idea of what a 'cat's whisker' is or maybe a euphemism for, the above statement could seem a tad worrying!

PS. For those of us that way challenged, I do hope the spell checker will be reinstated when the forum is updated.

Maggot

Still have two working sets I built as a kid. One recieves Radio 4 LW on 198 kHz, the other is tuned to 558 kHz (Pirate Station Laser 558, and later Radio Caroline). The Galena for the Cats Whiskers was collected from the spoil heap of a lead mine on the edge of Dartmoor by my Grandfather  (y)

thesiger

Second round of upgrade work will take place early tomorrow - Saturday 8th - hopefully should be over in an hour or two.

thesiger

Done. It's quite a major software upgrade (though most of the change is behind the scenes) so please shout if anything looks odd.

You may need to refresh your browser cache to get everything working.

barrabus

I've noticed a problem.

When I go to post a reply (or a new topic) the right hand side of the box that I'm typing in doesn't have an 'edge': the cursor and what I am typing just disappear off the screen.

When I click 'Preview' the message appears as normal.

bubba

Administrator
Several people have solved that problem by clearing their cache and/or doing a CTRL+F5 (force refresh).

clean and dry

'Eyup down there, Just thought someone should know that my PC was receiving hundreds of uninvited downloads, including lots of .php files, many pages from sites such as Finnish Caving Society to Caving News and dozens of images from the site (simplemachine/portal, badbehaviour etc) infrastructure. However since I'm not a digigeek, (not to be confused with a digging freak), I mean i don't know the difference between a gook and a spook, well I could have a good guess, I'm trying to say i'm not very digitally competent and it could be JUST my error, (i/o).
If it is only me then no worries and hasta la vista but if you want further info., let me know (somehow). Thanks

clean and dry

Hi bubba, Thanks for replying. I wanted to send some of the images, definitely caving related, (including one of a subterrainean pool invitingly illuminated by person with lamp), but now I can't find an "attachments" button - this is what I mean about my failed geekdom. The .php files however, were scary enough for me to quickly delete them when I realised they are some kind of program or scripting language which could be quite harmful in the wrong hands. Saying this I'm quite sure that you are on the lookout for such things which may hopefully never happen. I have put some of the other files into a compressed file until i can find a way of sending it, (not revealed by the "Attachments and other options" menu).
At some point i shall return to my battery v carbide? quest but for now I can at least send the image mentioned above with the helpful "image" button
- haha of course I can't, what WAS I thinking, expecting to copy and paste a little image with just a few mouseclicks, sorry about that, I'll keep working on it! You're probably going to tell me to Read The Manual, (RTFM), I admit to not having done that. These unintended downloads I've been going on about are almost certainly my clicking something like DOWNEVERYTHING software unintentionally or possibly, just possibly a link on the site. I'll try and retrace my steps. In the meantime please don't worry about my gookdom and i'll get back when I sensibly can. Andrew

bubba

Administrator
clean and dry said:
These unintended downloads I've been going on about are almost certainly my clicking something like DOWNEVERYTHING software unintentionally
I think that's the most likely explanation.

There's no way of uploading images from your computer to the forum. You need to upload the images to somewhere online and then link to them from the forum.

Although this wiki topic is from sister site ukbouldering.com, you might find it useful as it explains how to link images into the forum. Just substitute ukcaving.com for ukbouldering.com: http://ukbouldering.com/wiki/index.php/HowTo_Embed_Pictures_to_UKBouldering