Things coming to a head at BCA?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
It was with some sadness that I read the new secretary's report posted just yesterday.  It confirmed pieces of information I heard around the BCA stand at Hidden Earth.  Namely that the BCA webservices and IT group convener, David Cooke, was refusing to adopt the mandate passed at the BCA AGM.  As I understand it he has refused, on several times of asking, to hand over access to BCA systems as directed.  What is there to hide?

That an officer of BCA should point blank refuse to accept the instruction of an AGM is bad enough but this is the same guy that likes to bring up arguments based on the minutiae of the constitution to delay and deter matters that he doesn't agree with.

It is sad because most comments around the BCA stall at Hidden Earth were quietly positive about the direction BCA was taking.  There were a number of comments put in the suggestion box (and which appear in the published P&I Officer report) that suggest it is just this sort of thing that puts people off the BCA.

So if a council member of BCA is refusing to carry out the clear mandate of the AGM how can he possibly remain in post?

Link to reports here: https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=about:documents:council_meetings:council_meeting_12th_october_2019_reports.pdf

crickleymal

That's pretty bad. Is it significant that the IT officer didn't produce a report. Why wasn't the non compliance discussed?

Dave Tyson

Funnily enough this topic has come up on the UCET forum. My suggestion is for the the new webmaster to set up new BCA webpages with a proper web hosting outfit and then get the BCA domain pointed at the new site. Les Williams, as chairman can contact the domain registrar to do this with an official letter comes direct from the BCA Chair and committee. Problem (partially) solved. The old BCA site will still exist, but relegated to obscurity. Some work will be needed to sort the mailing lists, but that is pretty straightforward and I could lend a hand

Dave

Jenny P

Is it worth also noting that Gary's report also includes the following:

BCA ballot:
I have completed work on a website for the upcoming ballot which will allow members to vote online. I have been leasing with David Cooke on this who has been organising the ballot list from the members database.

So perhaps it may be premature to ask for a full handover until after the ballot has been completed since it's clear that Dave and Gary have been working together on this. 

Be aware also that David Cooke is liaising with the BCA Training Administrator over the databases she uses, which (as I understand it) are based partly on the current BCA membership database and work is still going on to try to find a suitable system to modernise the Training Administration.

It would be great for everyone to be able to get on with everything "yesterday" but it isn't always quite as simple as that so maybe better to leave it to the two people most concerned to work this out together.  Let's not jump straight in with the blame game.

rcfindlay

It's not clear from the reports (or lack of) the reasons why access has not been given. This would be useful to understand why there appears to be no route forward..

blackshiver

If you have taken the time to read the BCA report you clearly have a positive interest in BCA matters and the organisation needs people like you. I read that there is a Conservation and Access officer post going.....

I would go for it myself but it would be hippo critical what with all the stalagmites in the garden.

alastairgott

blackshiver said:
I would go for it myself but it would be hippo critical what with all the stalagmites in the garden.

Don't worry there aren't any caves in the northern dales, so it's fine  :tease:

rcfindlay

If you have taken the time to read the BCA report you clearly have a positive interest in BCA matters and the organisation needs people like you. I read that there is a Conservation and Access officer post going.....

Sounds like it's not worth getting involved if old systems are 'holding the BCA by the bollocks'

NewStuff

rcfindlay said:
Sounds like it's not worth getting involved if old duffers are 'holding the BCA by the bollocks'
It's worth it, if you have the inclination towards that kind of thing. The only reason the people that *just won't accept change* are still around is no-one else will fill the roles they currently occupy. Things are changing, The CNCC and CCC have had a decent enough turnaround, it shows it can be done.

thomasr

Mr Cooke may have valid reasons for not passing on the data as requested.  Though their can be no excuse for not giving a reason in the first instance 

Jenny P

rcfindlay said:
It's not clear from the reports (or lack of) the reasons why access has not been given. This would be useful to understand why there appears to be no route forward..

Dave Cooke's Report to the BCA Council Meeting has now been sent out separately and should answer any questions raised.

NewStuff

mikem said:
I assume you mean Cambrian rather than charterhouse.

One of them is a shitshow of epic proportions showcasing exactly how you piss off a large percentage of the caving population, and the other is a caving council that covers Wales.  ;)

mikem

Well, it does seem as though nowadays you have to choose whether the caves or the cavers are more important.

kay

Jenny P said:
Dave Cooke's Report to the BCA Council Meeting has now been sent out separately and should answer any questions raised.

Is it available on-line? I haven't managed to find it

MarkS

kay said:
Jenny P said:

Is it available on-line? I haven't managed to find it

It is now, at https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=about:documents:council_meetings:bca_council_meeting_12th_october_2019_supplementary_documents.pdf

Ed

mikem said:
Well, it does seem as though nowadays you have to choose whether the caves or the cavers are more important.

Or the over inflated sense of self importance