Albania

richardg

Does anyone know of a good resource to find out about the caves, geology and potential for new exploration in Albania.

Mark

Richard

There was also a guy called Gabor Losonci, who was doing quite a bit in the next valley, might be worth googling him

I have an email gabor.losonci(at)gmail.com might be worth a try

Cheers

Mark

rhychydwr1

There is a web page for Albania:  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hape/tn11.htm                              see also IC

ALBANIAN CAVES compiler Harry Pearman from Internet.  27pp sums up the results of various expeditions including cross referenced cave descriptions and bibliogrpahy lists over 170 caves over 70 item bibliography `

AXBRIDGE CAVING GROUP JOURNAL / Expedition Special Jl No 72 June 1997  61 pp  Two main reports are the first ever caving expedition to Northern Albania to explore the Accursed Mountains and to the Perlis Region of the Northern Peninsular of Malaysia to explore some new caves.  Plenty of photos, surveys etc.  SB

Berliner H?hlenkundliche Berichte? (BHB)Volume 58  by Alexey K. Zhalov (editor):  Bulgarian Speleological Studies in Albania 1991-2013.  105 pp.; Berlin 2015.  Beside scientific studies on the geosettings, tectonics, cave climatology, and biospeleology as well as an overview about the history of cave exploration in Albania this volume presents the 52 most important caves of the Albanian Alps. This includes the four deepest caves currently known in the country: Shpella BB-30 (-610 m), Shpella Ru (-580 m), Shpella e Celikokave (-505 m), and Maya Arapit Cave at 431 m (+363/-50 m). The volume also has extensive cave lists and an in-depth bibliography. ?15.00 post free.  I can supply.

OROSHI 93 / EXPEDITION SPELEOLOGIQUE EN ALBANIE  49 pp 5 colour, numerous B&W photos, surveys etc.  Useful reference work.  Extensive bibliography even list Jack Baer's article.  SB In French

nobrotson

Funnily enough, I also started to look into this recently. thanks a lot for posting these resources.