University Caving Club Trip

A

angelmaz11

Hello,

I have only just joined the Kent University Caving Club about 7 months ago and have already done a fair bit of caving, including SRT.

As for this summer's expedition we decided to spend a week in Yorkshire and a week in South Wales. As Yorkshire is pretty far away for us, we've only been once so far. My job is to find out which caves to visit and how to get permits.
I've already found a list of novice caves in this forum, but Im also looking for good simple to medium SRT caves. I would appreciate any replies on this and most importantly whether we need to get permits and how these are obtained.
I've been into Long Churn and looked at Alum Pot (definitely top of my list! :shock: ) , but I would need a small list to entertain our University Club for a week.

Any ideas anyone??

THANK YOU!
Marion

Stu

West Kingsdale would keep you entertained for a week. Jingling Pot can be made into a very interesting rope course!! Bull Pot feels like a "proper" cave but doesn't go anywhere. Simpsons - Swinsto are relatively straight forward IIRC. Rowten is a BIG trip and very enjoyable. Yordas - go in through middle entrance and do the Chapterhose route along the traverse - not what I would call an easy first trip to rig but anyone with some know how won't have a problem. Ireby Fell (technically not Kingsdale but pretty much similar approach in car) will give a long full day as would Marble Steps. Some are more weather dependant than others and none require permits ( though permission is "meant" to be sought for some - check books).

There are numerous threads on the forum in the "yorkshire" section which wil offer advice.

T

tubby two

You cant go up to yorkshire from all the may down in kent (near africa innit?) without a gg exchange trip. Flood- stream has to be up there, via main chamber obviously, and maybe a wander round mud henslers if youre good with surveys and water. All stu's suggestions are grand too. There is also lots in easegill. cow pot isnt the most begginer friendly SRT, but its not hard either and it is absolutley fantabulotasticotremendously brilliant. Well, It's ok i think......
The only other thing you must do is get a monster hangover and cure it with a bernies breakfast.

tt.

Stu

Yep to GG. Also as much as I love Alum/Long Churn's, as you may know already, choose your timing... oh a group, oh another group and look, another one. Fair to say most never get down the pitches and there are some sneaky passing places.

Pitlamp

Leave NOTHING in your vehicle at the parking place for Alum Pot (even if well off the road). Vehicles here are sadly often targeted by thieves. Leave glove boxes open and empty so it's obvious there's nothing worth taking. Get changed at the hut so your clothes are elsewhere (as they seem to like going through trouser pockets for wallets etc). This isn't trying to put you off, just to make sure you have an enjoyable visit to the Dales. Best of luck!

T

tubby two

Unfortunately you can apply that to most of the bloody country!

I really would like to catch one of them and take them on a short caving trip with me... Rowten on a 15m rope... could pick them up in the master cave...

tt.

A

angelmaz11

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies. I have made a note and will pass the messages on.

Yes, indeed Kent is very far away... about 8hrs. We went there for CHECC and managed ok (but then we had 2 drivers! and this time it'll be only me driving :( ).

I had a great time last weekend, thanks! The leadership course was great as I learned some very important rigging and how to haul somone up using different techniques.

Thanks for warning about leaving nothing in our vehicles. Someone told us that when we last went down for CHECC.

xxx Marion