Oily smell in Speedwell

adep

Went into speedwell streamway yesterday from leviathan and there was a very strong smell of oil or petrochemical of some sort, you could even taste it in the air, I believe this has happened before, any ideas as to where it's coming from??

Must be going on 20 years ago there was a big spillage of Diesel in Eldon Hill Quarry, suspect it will take several lifetimes to clear through. The diesel gets trapped in the sediment in deep phreas and gets washed through in very high water conditions. It can be very unpleasant.

Dan.

adep

danthecavingman said:
Must be going on 20 years ago there was a big spillage of Diesel in Eldon Hill Quarry, suspect it will take several lifetimes to clear through. The diesel gets trapped in the sediment in deep phreas and gets washed through in very high water conditions. It can be very unpleasant.

Dan.

Sounds like that could be the cause, although you would think it would appear in other systems as well

bograt

adep said:
you would think it would appear in other systems as well

Not necessarily, Speedwell is the first accessible active streamway on that route from the quarry.

Pete K

Blackpool Sands area of Bagshawe Cavern usually smells a little of diesel after a good flood. They share a catchment (or part of) so I suspect that a trip down there today would be a little wiffy too.

Scud

adep said:
Went into speedwell streamway yesterday from leviathan and there was a very strong smell of oil or petrochemical of some sort, you could even taste it in the air, I believe this has happened before, any ideas as to where it's coming from??

What was the water level like yesterday in the Speedwell Streamway? Also, was the connection from Leviathan to Far Sump Extensions still sumped?

adep

Scud said:
adep said:

What was the water level like yesterday in the Speedwell Streamway? Also, was the connection from Leviathan to Far Sump Extensions still sumped?

Water levels were high in the stream way, the connection was open just but had a large amount of silt build up that needed clearing