Lost Johns pull-through, out Notts II

nobrotson

After a good day of poking around on Leck Fell, we decided to round off our visit to the area by undertaking what should be a classic trip: pulling through down Lost Johns to exit out of Notts II via the dug connection between Lyle Cavern High Level Series and Sir Digby Spode?s Inlet. The recent publication of the excellent Northern Caves, Three Counties book (highly recommend buying one) provided much needed impetus for this trip by offering a good route description and a simplified survey. Armed with photos of this, along with a rigging topo and Mike Coopers NFTFH description of Boxhead, we set off at around 5pm carrying a group shelter and with a 7am callout in case things went a bit wrong (none of us had done the connection beforehand). 

We decided to keep things simple and take the Mud-Centipede route, as this looked like the easiest one for pulling down. We knew that the bolts probably wouldn?t be ideal for a pull-through so did a few practise yanks on each one before the last man came down. All of them were incredibly smooth, however, and I think the use of a biner block (instead of alpine butterfly krabbed to the live rope) was a key reason for this. When there are in situ artificial anchors present (ie not natural threads), I really can?t see any reason not to use a biner block. I had forgotten how excellent and fun the canyon-style vadose passages of Mud-Centipede are.

Soon we arrived at Battle-axe traverse. We were armed with 60m, 45m and 28m ropes. I used the 28m rope to hard-rig the traverse, followed by Nathan carrying the 45m and 60m, with Luke de-rigging the traverse after us. There are 2 high-up Y-hang bolts at the head of Valhalla which make good choices for the pull-through as they are closer together and offset slightly compared to the lower ones (which are directly opposite one another). This pitch is still great fun four years on from my first descent of it. The 60m and 45m rope are quite excessive, you could easily get by with two 40m ropes. Two 40m ropes and a 30m rope would be an ideal combination for this trip I would say.

Groundsheet Junction came and went and soon we were at the top of the in situ rope on the Lyle Cavern pitch. The navigation to the choke from here is very straight-forward: go up Helictite Rift, then at the T-junction for the Tate Galleries go straight on along West Passage. Keep to the right wall and follow your nose upwards until you go through a crawl into a small chamber, after which descend a narrow calcite chute on the left wall. Keep descending and soon you will see the first scaffolding. From here progress is surprisingly straight-forward, and you really have to marvel at the engineering that has gone into the passage. It is quite a phenomenal achievement. The route finding as well is just incredible.

Popping out in the Notts II streamway was a great feeling, and soon we were out on the surface after quickly washing our gear a bit. Someone was digging at the bottom of the Entrance series of Notts II. Overall, a very efficient and extremely enjoyable 3 hour trip. There are so many possibilities for pull-through trips in this system now, I really can?t wait to try out more!

Antwan

I always think of Notts II as a one entrance trip, must give that a go soon.

How long did it take you?

nobrotson

three hours, we weren't going too slowly but also not as fast as I usually do as I have a cold at the moment that makes me sound like a smoker. The Leck Fell area of the three counties has so many possibilities for dry exchanges and through trips. lost johns, notts II, boxhead, deaths head, cupcake, big meanie, voldemort, rumbling... options are endless.

Alex

If you told me it was an evening trip I could have come along :), thought I would be hard pushed to get there before 6. Glad the trip was a success and you did not do my club's version (On a trip I was not on, as I would have had none of it) which was clipping into the p anchors along the traverse!

nobrotson

yeah sorry Alex, I didn't really know when we were going to start. I'd do it again happily! I think it would be good to do it without going up the in situ rope and instead go round via the Tube, Lost Pot aven and the Tate Galleries. Longer, more fun and no prussiking.

Alex

Yeh, its fun that way, lots of climbing and a final slippery rope climb taking you up to Tate. Without route finding issues I guess it would take about an hour maybe an hour and a half longer. Dry(ish) weather only though.

JasonC

I was so inspired by Nob's (? ;)) report that, armed with the new Northern Caves from Santa's stocking, I persuaded a couple of mates to try it.
All I can say is that if you guys did it in 3 hours, you must come from the planet Krypton!

It took us 7!  ok, we hard-rigged LJ as we hadn't got the bottle for a pull-through, there were a few delays sorting out Centipede (the 50m on the club rope tag had looked awfully like 60m :() and route-finding, and two of us are in our 60s, but even so...

Still, it was a memorable trip, and hats off to the guys who engineered that connection between Bruno Kranski's and West Passge (if I've got that right) - it must have been a hell of a lot of work!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The time doesn't matter as long as you enjoyed it and got out for the pub  ;).

Pleased to hear the connection is still holding up.  The dig took 18 months once we had a confirmed smoke test through that route.  I alone did 50 trips in Notts 2 and 35 in Lost Johns during that time and there were quite a few more from the rest of the team.  Even now it doesn't look like there were many other options for a connection.

(y)

JasonC

Badlad said:
...  I alone did 50 trips in Notts 2 and 35 in Lost Johns during that time and there were quite a few more from the rest of the team....

Staggering...  Well, thanks for all your hard work - it's a phenomenal achievement.