Invite - a trip with a difference

Peter Burgess

Is anyone interested in joining Dep and myself on this Sunday afternoon on a working party trip deep into the mines at Merstham, Surrey? The plan is to tidy up a really nice haulage route in the old stone quarry that has been spoilt by a caver's dig some years ago, where all the dig spoil was just dumped in the open passage. The dig was abandoned after little effort, and needs to be filled up. If a drystone wall needs to be rebuilt, we will do this too. This is not a tourist trip, and will involve a 60 minute trip in with digging tools, a 2-hour session, and a similar trip out (though we may leave the tools there for future use). We plan to start at 1pm. PM me if interested, for further details. It may not be a tourist trip, but there will still be a lot to see and talk about!

This trip partly inspired by DarkPlaces valliant efforts in Compton Martin Ochre Mine.

D

Dep

We may even buy you a beer afterwards, or if you really enjoy yourself we'll certainly let you buy us one! :)

Peter Burgess

Message to Wealden members: If you have replied to my email invite after 5pm today, I won't have read it, can't read it till Monday, and won't know you are coming, so if you are coming you had better PM me here, or pick up the phone! And, no, Wealden members don't get free pints for helping us! And the only reason I posted the invite here, is because none of you lot offered your services up to lunchtime today, and Dep thought it would be nice to invite UKC members instead!  :ras:

You interested DP? I'm game if you are, Peter made a bold claim that this was "Possibly the best mine in the universe ever".

Actually he didn't, but it sounds like it is a worthy cause and might even be a fun mine.

D

darkplaces

Maybe, if Peter would have me in one of his Mines?
Worthy of a trip report and a few photos if its a goer.

Peter Burgess

Tools are supplied, says Dep. It will be basic shovelling, with the odd bit of tamping down and knocking rocks into place. Imagine a Box Mines trip (dry and rocky), but not quite being able to stand up, and you can get a slight idea what getting to the dig site and back again is like. If you are short - no problem. If you are not as fit as you would like to be, you will get tired. If you are up for it, just tip us the wink and I'll PM directions etc.

D

darkplaces

err shoveling, I ant too good at that, normally at the back shouting instructions. I am short so, yeah I'll give it a go in deps mine. Boiler suit job it sounds like.

Me and Known? Send them PMs.

I'll pull some strings at work, should be fine though. Will you be telling any of your quality jokes or perchance doing your German impressions, Peter?

D

darkplaces

The only drawback is I am on call till I am under so if I cant turn up I'll let known know it will be work related. Its annoying to everyone around me but when work calls at anytime I have to drop everything.

ttxela

paulf said:
Bloody Hell do you have time Off ?  :eek:

I'm starting to wonder...... :cautious:  Shame as it looks to be shaping up to be a good trip with good banter potential  :clap:

paulf

Sorry to miss this  :cautious: as my backs giving me Jip & I'm away next Sunday I need to rest it  :( 
Hope you get enough helpers  (y)

D

darkplaces

Known is unable to make the trip, its just me. SO I guess with Peters late OK a slot exists.

Peter Burgess

Thanks - Gnomie mentioned it in chat earlier tonight. The bit we are working in has some good subject matter for photos. Bring a camera and wander off for a bit if you feel so inclined. You can't get lost (famous last words).