Helmet Cammera

C

cucc Paul

Ive recently got a new toy, a helmet camera and a digital recorder (see links below). The plan is to hook it up to my ecrin rock and go caving  ;)
Here is the problem I need to get two wires to pass through the wall of a peli case or equivalent (I havent found a box for the recorder yet). Any one got any bright ideas on suitable boxes or easy modifications to existing boxes on the market?

Or if any one has any useful tips all will be appreciated I was planning on using my modified duo as the light source.

Camera: http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/acatalog/ActionCam_520_Low_Light_Helmet_Camera.html
DVR: http://www.archos.com/products/video/archos_504/features.html?country=global&lang=en

D

darkplaces

Hey I got a archos504, I was planning on buying its own head camera but that one you list looks better. How do you attach the head camera to the 504????

One solution would have been wireless with the receiver inside a case with the 504. You have kind of beat me to a project I was thinking of starting so I will be following this with interest.

I asume the only way of making this waterproof would be to drill a hole in the case, install a grommit to hole the cable central then plaster loads of silica, mastic inside and outside, and protecting it some way, this would prove the most robust but it means basicly a perm. marriage of head cam and case. Unless you use a short cable with the right connectors so the camera connects to a connector on the outside.

Please post up pictures of your setup  :clap:
Cheers.

W

Walrus

Why not try a Maplins waterproof box? Depends on your battery/light arrangements but the box is big enough to fit a PDA sized device & connectors in it,be padded inside and suspended in a bum-bag type thing - it'll take a cable from the camera to the device mounted in a similar way to a belt battery box.

drainrat

cucc Paul said:
Here is the problem I need to get two wires to pass through the wall of a peli case or equivalent (I havent found a box for the recorder yet). Any one got any bright ideas on suitable boxes or easy modifications to existing boxes on the market?

Rather than pass the wire through the pelicase, install a waterproof socket in the case and the corresponding waterproof plug on the end of the camera wire. This way the camera and recorder can be disconnected easily too.

I use LEMO connectors at work. They are extremely rugged and they do waterproof versions:

http://www.lemo.co.uk/product.php?action=current&product_id=9

Failing that, RS components do a vast array of connectors.

Drainrat.

C

cucc Paul

I have been researching this project a lot today as ive had spare time and i think i have found an answer.

Step 1 buy peli case  :cry: and a water proof bag with a window. (I'm now up and unders best customer)
Step 2 attach a water proof cable gland to water proof bag with aid of some glue im going to buy from maplins which is waterproof and suitable for plastics
Step 3 do the same to the peli case

Modifiying cables

step 1 on sections of wire needing to pass through cable glands place a piece of pipe cut along its lengh and fill in voids and cut with resin/glue stuff from maplins (this needs to be done as the wires are 8 shape and multiple)

The glands are releaseable and the plugs fit through them this means all the wires can be removed with just the bits of pipe being irrimovable and hopefully all will be waterproof.

I need to go to maplins to buy batteries and cable glands but i know which bits im getting now. I will post some photos on the net somewhere once all the work is done so watch this space next week. Just need to think of some where to test the kit then. Oh and some one suggested putting the cammera in a bit of plumbing pipe with some cut up role matt to hold in place to protect it some what i might try this to.

E

emgee

cucc Paul said:
I have been researching this project a lot today as ive had spare time and i think i have found an answer.

Step 1 buy peli case  :cry: and a water proof bag with a window. (I'm now up and unders best customer)
Step 2 attach a water proof cable gland to water proof bag with aid of some glue im going to buy from maplins which is waterproof and suitable for plastics
Step 3 do the same to the peli case

Modifiying cables

step 1 on sections of wire needing to pass through cable glands place a piece of pipe cut along its lengh and fill in voids and cut with resin/glue stuff from maplins (this needs to be done as the wires are 8 shape and multiple)

The glands are releaseable and the plugs fit through them this means all the wires can be removed with just the bits of pipe being irrimovable and hopefully all will be waterproof.

I need to go to maplins to buy batteries and cable glands but i know which bits im getting now. I will post some photos on the net somewhere once all the work is done so watch this space next week. Just need to think of some where to test the kit then. Oh and some one suggested putting the cammera in a bit of plumbing pipe with some cut up role matt to hold in place to protect it some what i might try this to.

No drainrat got it right above. Water proof connector on the box matching connector on the camera lead. Probably cheaper than bodgeing it and you can test t in the bath without risking you're new toy.

Stupot

Worth a look  :-\

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=6&scid=14&pid=709 - US

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/info_action_cam_atc2000.html - UK

Play hard, record everything - even underwater with ATC2K, the ultimate waterproof self-contained action cam! Weighing in at half a pound (with batteries), this hands-free action cam delivers full color digital video in 640 X 480 VGA at 30 frames per second.

ATC2K works seamlessly with most video editing software. Expandable up to 2GB, ATC2K mounts easily and all mounting hardware is included. Wipeouts in a white out or an unexpected barrel roll? No worries, ATC2K is waterproof up to 10 feet!

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam.jpg

Stu.

W

Walrus

I'd be interested to see how well it performs underground - how much external light you need for a decent image.

Stupot

I don't think it would be as tough as the one Paul is getting, but as it's an all in one unit using an SD card it's
less kit to carry around.

An ideal solution would be to make a 3 - 5mm neoprene sock to go over it for protection.

As to light requirements, I cannot seem to find any specifications as to Lux levels in the manuals.

I like the way the lens is set back - avoiding scuffs  (y)

Stu.

C

cucc Paul

Hi project is complete and looks very swish and cave proof. I did look at plugs and sockets but the idea of soldering lots of tiny contacts quickly put me off the idea. I think the method I've used is probable more cave friendly, big bits of nylon that wont get bent or snapped easily and generous helppings of epoxy to ensure every thing is water tight and reinforced but still dismantleable. The cables used are also considerably cheaper than the connectors so gunking up cables is more appealing. I have taken some photos but they came out really badly so will try and take some on a different cammera soon (my own cammera is off getting fixed/replaced after a little accident).

I did look seriously at the cammera above I think it also retails under "tony hawks" camera. From all that I have read I got the impression it was aimed at skate boarders and the like. The thing that sold the Action cam to me was that they also have the low light chip which seems to work really well, in my room at least. Dogcam also have lots on offer and spoke to some one who had one who is pleased with theirs but they were a kyaker so light and bash proofness wasn't as big an issue for them. Must admit the one down side of mine is that i have to carry a peli case 1150 with me for my recorder, batteries and lots of wires which isnt ideal as they are a bit large but I dont think anything smaller would offer any where near as much protection.

potholer

A mate of mine made a helmet cam setup a few years ago, with the recorder in a daren drum, and a radio link between the camera and recorder, which apparently worked fine.

One thing he did notice was that since the camera was sensitive to infra-red, carbide worked really well as a light source, since it chucks out *loads* of IR.

C

cucc Paul

Oh hadnt thought about carbide... might have to wait a while though my next trips to the mendips. Might possibly film the biggest chamber in the UK see what the fuss is about

Rob

cucc Paul said:
Might possibly film the biggest chamber in the UK see what the fuss is about

Ok, TITAN's pretty busy at the moment but i'm sure we can fit you in. It's really big you see, not like them little grottoes down in Mendip!

Bob Smith

The BEC mounted a camera, in an Oldhams headset, on a digger's head down Hunters Lodge inn sink a while back and piped the images via a cable up to the back room. We got quite a crowd when Tony J was setting a charge and left the camera in place to film the bang. Quite impressive IIRC. Still working on a colour cam with sound, with crazy talk of a helium balloon zeppelin in wookey to film the avens!

C

cucc Paul

Lol might be a crazzy idea but could work im sure a party pack of ballons and a disposable hydrogen cylinder for £30 would be cheaper, easier and would probably provide enough lift to carry my cammera. Although I was dissapointed with wooky show caves when I went although the bridges gave a "unique view" and the cheese smelt lovely.

I could imagine titan being busy with all the hype :confused:

C

cucc Paul

Link to some photos as promised, theyre still not grate though.

http://muddydragons.co.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=55

W

wormster

cucc Paul said:
Lol might be a crazzy idea but could work im sure a party pack of ballons and a disposable hydrogen cylinder for £30 would be cheaper, easier and would probably provide enough lift to carry my cammera.

Why not get one of these:
http://www.webfun.org/balloons/images/blimp.jpg

I'm sure that would be able to lift it :LOL:

C

cucc Paul

wont need any additional light  ;) although i did mean to write helium....