Another Door in Hill

Katie

The Door in Hill thread has prompted me to ask about a different door in a hill.

Half way up Winnats pass, on the blue john side - there is a door in the hillside with a levelled path going to it from the top of the road. Whats the story behind this one? Anyone know?

ttxela

http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/view_picture.asp?id=7297
Is it this one?

I think I've read somewhere you can get the key from the NT office somewhere for it?

Rob

ttxela said:
http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/view_picture.asp?id=7297
Is it this one?

I think I've read somewhere you can get the key from the NT office somewhere for it?

Is that one on the right as you go up, maybe 200m past speedwell, and about 50m above road level, with an old worked path leading up to it from the west at about 20 deg?

ttxela

Might have to have a look in there next time I am up that way, is it necessary to give any notice to the NT or can you just show up at their office for the key?

SamT

Yep 0ld tor mine.

Went in there when I was younger - there used to be two entrances - one higher up around the back of the small tor to the right - however they concreted that over and put the gate on some time in the early 90's I think.

IIRC, stooping level leads to reasonably sized natural chamber. Window used to be up on the right. Pool towards the back left with a bedding crawl heading off behind it (along which we didnt venture too far). Was a blue john mine, not lead.

Mrs Trellis

Old Tor Mine was my first "cave" - back in 1959 (ish). School summer camp at Cooper's in Edale, maths master (and rugby coach) got us surveying it as practical trigonometry. I returned a few years ago. Someone (a lapidarist?) has had a go at the final sump and we certainly didn't need a ladder on the final steep slope of 6m or so back in 1959.

ttxela

Mrs Trellis said:
Old Tor Mine was my first "cave" - back in 1959 (ish). School summer camp at Cooper's in Edale, maths master (and rugby coach) got us surveying it as practical trigonometry.

So do you have a copy of the survey?  ;)

Mrs Trellis

;)

Remembering that Jim Eyres' story about a "large cavern" on the Holochhohle survey turning out to be a speck of fly-shit all I remember were muddy fingerprints over everything.

If anyone is into minerals - the Old Tor Blue John Vein can be seen in cross-section above the "top" (concreted over) entrance and is practically the only major exposure of Blue John in situ outside the show caves. The limestone "tor" that Sam mentions is also fairly "purple". On the top of the Winnats above the top entrance about 50m to the west is an obvious blocked shaft. Ford says there were once 40 or so Blue John workings on Treak Cliff (as a whole). The Miller's vein workings somewhere between Treak Cliff cavern and Odin would be interesting.

(Puts "natural" hat on) Also I think some work on the limestone/shale boundary on the northern side (around Dielasma Cave ) would be useful. There's obviously huge fossil stuff around there at - 100m or more. The final choke in Blue John is humungous.

Pitlamp

Mrs Trellis - what point in Blue John are you referring to as the "final choke"? Just interested because I've never really been able to get my head around how that fascinating system developed.

Mrs Trellis

what point in Blue John are you referring to as the "final choke"?

Based on my admittedly hazy recollections from a couple of trips back in the late 80's /early 90's (when PB Smith and Mac were fitting the brattices to aid the radon extraction draughting)  I was definitely under the impression that the "way on" was down through what I remember as a crater-like bouldery depression after the Razor Back ridge and before the final sump.

The interesting thing is the amount of large vadose development and the size of the passage where all three inlets come together at the foot of the Superior Gallery inlet. It's also interesting that even the small stream now gathering from percolation still finds its way to the Russett Well/Slop Moll risings. Does it get into the Speedwell streamway?

Imho there is still lots of potential in the Treak Cliff hill as a whole.  Gaining access to some of the many old Blue John workings would be good. There seems to be a speleogenetic relationship between the phreatic tubes which are later invaded by vadose streams and the mineralised pipes. Is this "stating the bleedin' obvious" or gibberish?

Pitlamp

Thanks Mrs.T. I also think the "way on" is lost downwards in the floor of Far Razor Back Cavern - i.e. totally sediment filled.

I believe that the BJC stream has been tested to Russet Well without being seen in the Speedwell streamway on the way. It's only a misfit stream though - so where the main development goes is anyone's guess. Fascinating place though.

Goydenman

Old Tor mine was one of my frst trips as well. I remember taking home my mum a nice piece of Blue John!
Once invited to stag do in there - two barrels of Old Rogers and 'stag' was given tour with sights like a friend in swimming trunks on a lilo floating on that large puddle not far in and other wierd things. We only drunk one barrel of beer and unfortunately dropped the other barrel off a wheelbarrow going back down the steep path :eek:. No sign of any drunken sheep after though  ;)
Someone once gave me a copy of very accurate survey - done with theodolite and placing small plastic rawplugs throughout the mine at station points if I remember right.