Another Cave in Crowdicote

Rob

Changing the subject slightly, anyone any idea which cave this it? Got a feeling it's Tor Rock Swallet, but the description in my well out of date Caves of Derbyshire is seemingly well out of date...

4300837006_0cb2c097a5.jpg

4300089111_eeaaea1186.jpg

4300089357_c50bc9e7f3.jpg

4300836832_8e529a8570.jpg

Entrance barrels don't look so good, may be in need of a bit of Flower Pot re-engineering...? That is, if it goes anyhere... There was certainly a strong outwards draft yesterday.

paul

Rob said:
Changing the subject slightly, anyone any idea which cave this it? Got a feeling it's Tor Rock Swallet, but the description in my well out of date Caves of Derbyshire is seemingly well out of date...

I'm pretty sure that's Chrome Hill Swallet, an old Orpheus Dig. It's in the last Caves of the Peak District, 28m long, 9m depth.
Ref. The Lyre No 5 pp 4-5

Pipster

Isn't Chrome Hill Swallet the more natural looking swallet (i.e. no barrels), a little closer to Chrome Hill, with earth running in at the back of Swallet as well as a stream, and the entrance underneath a small loose alcove with an old handline in place?

JAM

Ah!  another new hole for me to look in ;)

I'm gonna try to get my backside up to Crowdicote on Friday, I'll find my mystery cave and take a pic of the entrance and if I can get in I'll grab some from inside.

Rich

paul

Armchair said:
'Fraid not. It's Tor Rock Swallet and bears no resemblance to Chrome Hill Swallet whatsoever.

My mix up then as they are fairly close together... Thanks.

Armchair

Rob said:
Anyone know what happens down there?

Mud, rocks and rust methinks...
Chrome Hill Swallet is much more solid (and arguably interesting) but note that the entrance drop can be a bugger to reverse.

bubba

Administrator
[mod]I've split this off from the other topic to avoid confusion as we're talking about two different caves[/mod]