Gimlis dream connection

benshannon

Has anyone managed to get from Carlswalk into merlin mine lately? I really want to find the connection but I have read that it can fill up with sediment so may no longer be passable

Tseralo

We did it about 3 months ago for the first time from merlins to carlswalk and didn't find the route nav too difficult just follow the footprints/knee prints

martinb

As one of the original diggers of the new connection between Carlswark and Merlin Mine, we were worried about the scree slumping into the connection crawl/grovel/slither.

I had heard a couple of years ago, before I left the UK, that the connection was blocked, I toddled along to check for myself. It was still open.

As you drop Eyam Dale shaft, before you hit the bottom, go left into a small aven instead of right into main system.

Theres a gap at floor level for a slither into another small chamber with a scree cone in the middle. On opposite side there is a wide hole to John Becks original concrete plug.

As you get to the concrete there is a gap on the left for the slither through to Merlins.

Thats how it was, thats a couple of years ago...... ;)

Ciaran T-H

We got through last month (merlins to carlswark direction). There was no sediment back up at all, just a short slightly wet belly crawl  (y)

benshannon

This is awesome. So, next question, if I go from Carlswalk to. Merlins, can you get to the surface without tackle or does Merlins need pre rigging? Is there even SRT in merlins? I'm thinking about a through trip

pwhole

Two years ago me and Alex from the TSG went down Merlins to pick up a water sampler - we had to also pick one up from the further reaches of Carlswark so decided to try the through-route, not expecting to manage it - but we did, and it was pretty easy really. After picking up the water sampler we exited via the Gin Entrance and strolled back to Merlins to pick up our harnesses - which were at the bottom of the shaft. Erm - now you tell me. Anyway, I was able to free-climb down it pretty easily if truth be told, and after tying the harnesses on the rope, free-climbed it back up again. But obviously I couldn't possibly recommend that approach as I've screwed up a few free-climbs too.

martinb

pwhole said:
Two years ago me and Alex from the TSG went down Merlins to pick up a water sampler - we had to also pick one up from the further reaches of Carlswark so decided to try the through-route, not expecting to manage it - but we did, and it was pretty easy really. After picking up the water sampler we exited via the Gin Entrance and strolled back to Merlins to pick up our harnesses - which were at the bottom of the shaft. Erm - now you tell me. Anyway, I was able to free-climb down it pretty easily if truth be told, and after tying the harnesses on the rope, free-climbed it back up again. But obviously I couldn't possibly recommend that approach as I've screwed up a few free-climbs too.

And the moral of this story is to clip your harnassess to the rope!  o_O

Mrs Trellis

In the deep recesses of my 70 + year old memory stir tales of ropes being nicked from Eyam Dale shaft. Perhaps take care especially at weekends when there are yobs about. Perhaps it's wise to go caving at 10pm on a Tuesday night which seems to be the thing nowadays.

martinb

Here's a survey of the area in question

Attachments

• Eyam Shaft and Gimlis Dream_LI.jpg
    Eyam Shaft and Gimlis Dream_LI.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 149

martinb

Mrs Trellis said:
In the deep recesses of my 70 + year old memory stir tales of ropes being nicked from Eyam Dale shaft. Perhaps take care especially at weekends when there are yobs about. Perhaps it's wise to go caving at 10pm on a Tuesday night which seems to be the thing nowadays.

We spent a good 3 or 4 years caving in SMD, the majority of the time parking at the substation accross from Eyam Dale Shaft - do not block the gates!! (You have been warned)

We never had any problem with yobs interfering with the car or ropes being nicked, but that is not to say it may not happen.

Use your common sense!