Publishing a book?

Jon_M

As part of a long term project I'm in the process of attempting to put together and publish a book on the history of a local mine (its discovery, exploration and its history of use). We've got plenty of info that can be made into a book (which hopefully people will find of interest) but I'm unsure as to how to really go about things.

So any advice would be most welcome; for example what software do people use .. Word is a pain in the backside but I'm happy with Publisher, is this the best option? Also, what about approaching publishing companies etc ??

Thanks  ;)

ogofmole

I have written quite a few books now and I use Publisher as I know where everything is that I use, once done I just convert it into a pdf and send to get printed.

mrodoc

I had to start from scratch but found using Publisher (apart from a glitch that got into the file) straightforward. The  Reservoir Hole  book was self published and printed by Biddles of Norfolk who gave an excellent service at a competitive price. Depending whether you are planning more than one book than it is cheaper (if you want togive your book an ISBN number) a batch of them instead on one.  I am working on my second at present with ideas for a few more. This sites might help you too:
https://www.publish-yourself.com/publish-it/ and an internet search will find plenty of other sites too. Good luck with the project. It is very satisfying and I can plough the proceeds back into good causes.

tamarmole

If you don't want the hastle of self publishing you might contact Northern Mines Research Society and see if they are interested (don't worry about the Northern bitm they publish material about mines throughout the uk).

Ian Adams

If you are looking for someone to take on your work and act as your agent/publisher - get yourself a copy of ?Writers & Artists Yearbook 2020?.

It contains details of every publishing agent in the UK (all the big names and all the small names), including agent contact details, the genres they accept and their requirements for your submission.

Probably the best reference book you will ever buy ?.

:)

Ian

Attachments

• writers.jpg
    writers.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 825

Kenilworth

Don't fall in love with the idea of publishing a book before you know what to say and how to say it. I wanted to publish my cave research in a club newsletter before NSS offered to publish it as a book. That sounds awful exciting but I wish now I had declined as I'm embarrassed by the product we produced. Take your time. It being your first effort, wait until you've got a good book, then worry about publication.

The Old Ruminator

I have written and had published eight books. You can do it either through a national/local publisher or by yourself but remember to buy ISBN numbers if you do.The book goes to the British Library then. Mr O' Doc knows all about self-publishing with his Reservoir Hole Book . A national publisher will give you a contract that explains your royalty structure. You must declare that income for PAYE. You can offset tax with expenses so keep a record. You may well be under pressure to complete the work in a given time. You will also be expected to do promotion work. Book signings, local radio, social media. Social media is now the main source of promotion for books. Most of us would probably consider factual books with a niche market. One well known Mendip caver has written successful science fiction. I still have research all done for another book. Now would be a good time but lethargy persists. Unless you are in the realms of JJ Rowling don't expect to make much money from books. Good for the soul - yes. Any author must feel good when seeing his/her work in print. I am now in the remainders on eBay stage. Never mind. Oh always get somebody else to check your work. Errors always seem to get by don't they Mr O' Doc ?

mrodoc

They certainly do OR ;) and that book was proof read three times. However even best sellers get it wrong. The best boob I have seen is in Ian McEwans novel Atonement where the dug in soldiers were described as popping up like marmosets. He of course meant marmots but nobody spotted that one!

tamarmole

The Old Ruminator said:
I have written and had published eight books. You can do it either through a national/local publisher or by yourself but remember to buy ISBN numbers if you do.The book goes to the British Library then. Mr O' Doc knows all about self-publishing with his Reservoir Hole Book . A national publisher will give you a contract that explains your royalty structure. You must declare that income for PAYE. You can offset tax with expenses so keep a record. You may well be under pressure to complete the work in a given time. You will also be expected to do promotion work. Book signings, local radio, social media. Social media is now the main source of promotion for books. Most of us would probably consider factual books with a niche market. One well known Mendip caver has written successful science fiction. I still have research all done for another book. Now would be a good time but lethargy persists. Unless you are in the realms of JJ Rowling don't expect to make much money from books. Good for the soul - yes. Any author must feel good when seeing his/her work in print. I am now in the remainders on eBay stage. Never mind. Oh always get somebody else to check your work. Errors always seem to get by don't they Mr O' Doc ?

Some good advice here.

You will not get rich as a writer.  I currently have two books in print; my last year's royalties came to about ?20.    However on the back of the books I have written I do quite a lot of lecturing / guided walks for local history groups / U3A groups etc who do pay a fee, you can also sell copies of your book at lectures.

moorebooks

tamarmole said:
If you don't want the hastle of self publishing you might contact Northern Mines Research Society and see if they are interested (don't worry about the Northern bitm they publish material about mines throughout the uk).

Rick has given good advice here NMRS do publish some good stuff . Self publishing is fine but you do need to work in costs not least of which if you want to sell to trade and you need to build in a sensible discount 25 - 35%  , a small print run bumps up the price , a lot depends on the site and the interest. I republished with the Authors consent Rhosydd Slate Quarry  which was a slow burner and Cwmorthin Slate Quarry which has sold very well although a lot of copies were sold into the trade and i also paid Graham commission  The rescued copies of Cwmystwyth went like hot cakes, as do publications on Nenthead in both cases have regular visitors

If you go for an ISBN and that protects your copyright 6 copies will have to go to the various libraries your cost including postage , you will want to give copies to people who have helped with surveys, information  or photographs people who have contributed can get irritated if they have to pay full price for a copy

Hope this helps

Mike

Mikie

TheBitterEnd

Affinity Publisher is half price at the moment, that's a lot of software for ?24  https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/

It has the advantage over Micro$oft Publisher of being able to output CMYK files (M$ Pub only does RGB) which means you will get printed photos etc with similar colours to those you see on screen

Jon_M

Thanks to all for all the advice, given me something to consider for when the book gets written up.

mrodoc

moorebooks said:
tamarmole said:

Rick has given good advice here NMRS do publish some good stuff . Self publishing is fine but you do need to work in costs not least of which if you want to sell to trade and you need to build in a sensible discount 25 - 35%  , a small print run bumps up the price , a lot depends on the site and the interest. I republished with the Authors consent Rhosydd Slate Quarry  which was a slow burner and Cwmorthin Slate Quarry which has sold very well although a lot of copies were sold into the trade and i also paid Graham commission  The rescued copies of Cwmystwyth went like hot cakes, as do publications on Nenthead in both cases have regular visitors

If you go for an ISBN and that protects your copyright 6 copies will have to go to the various libraries your cost including postage , you will want to give copies to people who have helped with surveys, information  or photographs people who have contributed can get irritated if they have to pay full price for a copy

Hope this helps

Mike

Mikie

All excellent advice as I have learnt from experience so far! Although nobody has asked for the 6 copies yet having sent the main one to British Library and finally got an indication it was received. When I researched the requirement for 6 copies it seems that they may be requested but not necessarily according to the the website. I am keeping them back anyway!

pwhole

TheBitterEnd said:
Affinity Publisher is half price at the moment, that's a lot of software for ?24  https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/

It has the advantage over Micro$oft Publisher of being able to output CMYK files (M$ Pub only does RGB) which means you will get printed photos etc with similar colours to those you see on screen

I've been looking at this series for a while as an alternative to Adobe, but this offer is ridiculous - I'm tempted to get all three. Thanks for the heads-up.

pwhole

I've just bought the 'Photo' application and I'm downloading it now. Although I reluctantly have the Creative Cloud subscription and use Photoshop every day, and InDesign quite regularly, I'm always on the look-out for a replacement, should the shit hit the fan. Plus I do a lot of panorama stitching, and that feature alone (if it works) is well worth 25 quid. Some of mine are bloody complicated though, and they've broken plenty of other apps, so we'll see.

TheBitterEnd said:

Thanks for the "heads up". I bought the Publisher software last night and it looks very good. Managed to put my Word manuscript into it without too much difficulty and looking forward to getting it finished and adding pictures, maps, etc.

glyders

mrodoc said:
They certainly do OR ;) and that book was proof read three times. However even best sellers get it wrong. The best boob I have seen is in Ian McEwans novel Atonement where the dug in soldiers were described as popping up like marmosets. He of course meant marmots but nobody spotted that one!
The worst typo of mine ever to get into print (past several reads by myself, by two proof-readers and an editor) was supposed to read:
It was so dark he didn't see the fog creeping up on him.
Unfortunately, there was a 'w' instead of an 'f'.  :cry:

Alex

I just used Amazon, self publishing, where they print the book on demand. However, this was before I knew how unethical Amazon was, and you also you get asked a lot of (American) tax questions, and if you don't answer them you pay the max tax (40% I think). So can't say I recommend that route, its just what I used 5 or 6 years ago. Gets your book out to wider audience though, if you go about marketing it correctly and was easy to use, set out type setting and cover etc.