I went caving

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
It's months since I've been underground so when friends suggested a quick Sunday trip I agreed. Kingsdale Master Cave it was - so ticked the 'well within your capabilities' box.  Weather was perfect, we drove there separately, no hugging hello  :( and no sharing my water bottle.

Staying apart wasn't an issue and we even took some social distancing photos as a record of these strange times.

Walking down the streamway, splishing along was wonderful.  Being with friends who I've missed just lovely as was popping down the pitch and back up, helping with photography, laughing and chatting away.  As I was getting cold I abandoned the deriggers and headed out to the sunshine.  Most of you will know that passageway from the pitch to the entrance (the one that Mother Nature could have made a bit higher  ;)), caving along, on my own with just the sounds of the moving through the passage, crunching of stones underfoot was almost a sensory overload - popping out into the warmth and stunning views of Kingsdale was great. 

Has anyone else ventured back caving and found it bombarding your senses more than normal?  I am glad I went and hope if you haven't been underground for a while you are able to go soon  :)

PeteHall

I broke my cave-fast last month after the rules for travelling for exercise were relaxed and have been a few times since.

I was super-excited heading underground for the first time in so long, even though just doing a simple trip. I was on a real high for days afterwards.

I've never enjoyed hanging up soggy kit quite so much either; even coming downstairs in the morning to a fully charged caving light made me smile  :)

scurve

I went to Illusion Pot last weekend with my wife, so had no need for social distancing. Neither of us had ever done this short trip before and we were impressed with the formations.

This evening is going to be my first trip with people who are not members of my household; I hope we can resist the urge to hug hello.

Cavematt

Glad you had a good trip Pegasus? Gary and I were up at Toyland in Valley Entrance on Sunday, so you probably just missed us!

After a few months away from caving, I recently enjoyed a nice trip down Rift Pot on the Ingleborough Allotment for a little anchor maintenance work (report from CNCC pending). It was really enjoyable, but coming back up the 30m entrance pitch, I developed an appreciation for how cave-fitness can quickly deteriorate despite other exercise during lockdown. Only 15m up and I was having to stop for a breather!

Looking forward to putting this right over the next few months :)

Kenilworth

Pegasus said:
Has anyone else ventured back caving and found it bombarding your senses more than normal? 

I haven't changed my habits and so can't comment on caving after an extended break. However, caving alone always seems to have this effect on me. It is a richer, more intense experience. I'm glad you went caving.

PeteHall

Kenilworth said:
Pegasus said:
Has anyone else ventured back caving and found it bombarding your senses more than normal? 

caving alone always seems to have this effect on me. It is a richer, more intense experience.

Totally agree Kenilworth. More often than not, I cave alone and find it a much more intimate experience (if that is the right word for it).

Somewhat ironically, I've been caving with others on each trip recently, though we have generally observed social distancing (not that we'd normally be any closer anyway) and not shared water bottles etc.

Alex

All my trips have been quite interesting persuading my partner to come caving, was not too difficult as he was aware of how difficult it was for me not caving, though I was happy to do some alone.

Once the driving restriction was lifted, I picked some caves off the beaten track I have never done before, because I knew land-owner feeling was tenuous. Doing this meant, I/we visited some delightful gems such as Whitewell pot a few miles north of Clitheroe and less delightful ones such as Hell hole (nearby) and Hale Moss cave in Morecambe Bay 200m of crawling the last 30m through deep mud as the sumps had dried up, I did most of this on my own as I suggested to John, he should turn around.

Last weekend was the first trip with people outside my household, keeping the group-size small. Went down Borehole and completely failed to find the way into EaseGill, still it was fun exploring all the knucks and crannys in there.

I am not yet ready to take on grade 4 or 5 caves yet, and until things improve further probably maybe I should'nt. I noticed I bruise a lot easier now. Borehole really did a number on my legs and my oversuit!

The only "cave" I did in lock-down was one I could cycle to, therefor obeying the rules which was Cadshaw Cavern (North of Bolton) which is a sandstone (gritstone, John tells me) and consists of one muddy chamber and flat out go nowhere crawl. Not worth the bother but was a nice ride from Rawtenstal and was just somewhere to go for the ride. I, like everyone else was staying away from proper caves and mines.

So far I have done 2 trips.

First one into KMC and through the short sumps into Rowten where I stood under the waterfall and hollered with joy at being back underground. I sat for a little while in Kingsdale after the trip just staring at the valley. God I have missed caving.

Second one down BPOTW where I laughed at my mates terrible light problems, smashed his finger with a dive bottle and was pleased to note that enforced proximity to the fridge has not restricted my ability to get through into the gours, huzzah!

tamarmole

Did my first trip on Sunday into my favourite local mine; a bit of string dangling and a bit of digging.  I'm still buzzing  ;) ;) ;)

chunky

MJenkinson said:
So far I have done 2 trips.

First one into KMC and through the short sumps into Rowten where I stood under the waterfall and hollered with joy at being back underground. I sat for a little while in Kingsdale after the trip just staring at the valley. God I have missed caving.

Second one down BPOTW where I laughed at my mates terrible light problems, smashed his finger with a dive bottle and was pleased to note that enforced proximity to the fridge has not restricted my ability to get through into the gours, huzzah!
It was Jess and I went with Pegasus in KMC on Sunday. Also the first time the camera has been underground since Mulu in January!
Never been to see the sump through to Rowten and was surprised to see the first one open!
6844e6e9e7798026c1dee6036863698b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

chunky

Pegasus said:
What about the others esp the 'social distancing' ones?  ;)        ;)
Will pop them up once home as file size is limited on the phone. Didn't want to hijack your thread with a load of photos!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skippy

I'm back caving again(following CNCC guidelines) .. Thing I found strange is I'm not an anxious person however when driving to my first trip since lockdown, I could feel slight tension rising. The location in question is not partularly difficult but you could say its mega committing after the first(or rather second) pitch. However, after getting kitted up and 2 mins in, all apprehensive thoughts disappeared and I  relished the act of caving again.

skippy

Pitlamp said:
It was the driving that was the dodgy bit Skippy - once in the cave you're a lot safer!  (y)
Of course I was in the company of a more than adequate caver ;)

chunky

50015925253_0bb0673bfc_z.jpg

Conveniently spaced 2m apart the stones make excellent markers to chat after a caving trip.

50016362476_e545fa8ee4_c.jpg

50016365971_a932d27bbb_c.jpg

50016369496_5a0030d3fe_c.jpg

50016368051_6043a7e972_c.jpg

50015829608_3c86a3823b_c.jpg

50016358351_87da000707_c.jpg

skippy said:
Pitlamp said:
It was the driving that was the dodgy bit Skippy - once in the cave you're a lot safer!  (y)
Of course I was in the company of a more than adequate caver ;)
"More than adequate" were you with James, Andy or Lin, supported by a merely adequate caver?