Propane cylinder question

Pitlamp

Does anyone know how many litres of propane a 47 kg cylinder contains? (These are the standard large red ones which some caving club hostels use for their cooking & heating gas supply.)

Thanks.

Fulk

Apparently you multiply the weight (in kg) by 1.96, so a 47-kg cylinder contains 92 L

Andyj23UK

https://www.elgas.com.au/blog/389-lpg-conversions-kg-litres-mj-kwh-and-m3

the figure quoted above tells you how much LIQIUD is in a cylinder

the table @ website - gives you both the liquid and the gas delivered through the regulator

it - if you have a device that runs for 1 hour on one M3 propane gas - how long will a 47kg LPG tank last  ?

read the caveat carefully :

*Note that these are Liquid to LPG Gas unit conversions
^Note that these are LPG Gas to Liquid unit conversions

Pitlamp

Thanks - I ought to have explained that I was trying to compare the price per litre for bottled gas compared with the price per litre for bulk delivery. (Propane in bulk deliveries is sold by the litre). So I guess Fulk's quoted figure is what I want?

Propane must have a pretty low density (compared with, for example, water) if 47 kg of the liquid is 92 litres in volume.

Burt

my elementary physics tells me:

Volume of a cylinder = Pi x Rsq x L

where Pi = 3.1415
Rsq = Square of the radius of the round part
L= length (or height) of the cylinder

Fulk

Well, Burt you're right about the volume of a cylinder; however, I guess that the walls of those things are quite thick, and the external dimensions might not be a true reflection of the internal ones (?).

Madness

And don't forget the gas is compressed. Unless you know what it's compressed to you can't work out how much gas it contains

And don't forget the gas is compressed. Unless you know what it's compressed to you can't work out how much gas it contains

I thought the L in LPG stood for liquified. It's compressed to liquid form then it doesn't compress any more.

ChrisJC

It is in liquid form in the 'gas' bottle. It is not 100% full though, there is a vapour space in there too.
The rule of thumb in a car is that the tank is never more than 80% full, but I don't know the rules for a gas bottle.

Chris.

In order to keep propane a liquid at room temperature (70? F or 21? C), it has to be held in a tank at a pressure of about 850 kPa ie 8.5 bar.