Apologies if done before

TheVicar

Hi all,
  Being moderately new to all this having only a handful of trips under my belt, lastly being the Swildon's short round trip (Which was the best fun I think I have had fully clothed). I was thinking a few things. With anything moderately exploratory  I think you must always have things to aim for in the future. I know this is open to interpretation and many factors come into account, however.....

What is deemed to be the hardest trip on Mendips or longest? Not including full on cave diving

What is the longest through trip in UK? Without diving equipment

What is the longest possible trip in UK? Again without diving equipment

I'm pretty much there with the Mendip's in knowing most of the caves and what they are about. I am just trying to expand my horizons to the rest of the UK. When I have a little more experience I really would like to give something to aim for that would really push me to the limits. I liken it to most climbers who have Everest as their ultimate goal :)

Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers

Andy Sparrow

What is deemed to be the hardest trip on Mendips or longest? Not including full on cave diving

Eastwater - The Southbank - West End series round trip?  Can't think of anything else that's much tougher.

What is the longest through trip in UK? Without diving equipment

It used to be Pippikin to Top Sink but Bye George Pot was opened which is a bit longer.  I'm not aware that any new entrances have been added since then that would make a longer trip.

What is the longest possible trip in UK? Again without diving equipment

That still has to be Darren Cilau to Dweebland and back, doesn't it?

TheVicar

Thanks Andy,

Much appreciated. I think I need to get my SRT sussed before venturing down Eastwater.

How many hours does the Darren Cilau trip take at a moderate pace?. Is it very technical? Is it the kind of trip many people do?

mrodoc

Tough to me depends to a considerable extent  on your  size and attitude to particular sections.. Pippikin was tough for me when I did it but I was bigger than any other members of the party. The Round Trip in Swildons is now 'tough' for me because of one squeeze.  A long and tiring trip but through spectacular cave is without doubt a trip to the Far North Choke in Dan yr Ogof.  That's because of the variety of obstacles you pass, none in themselves particular difficult but they add up to a long and demanding trip.

damian

TheVicar said:
Much appreciated. I think I need to get my SRT sussed before venturing down Eastwater.
Ladders work too, of course.
TheVicar said:
How many hours does the Darren Cilau trip take at a moderate pace?. Is it very technical? Is it the kind of trip many people do?
To answer in order: 24hrs+, not really and definitely not!

TheVicar

Well the Darren Cilau trip seems like a beast. Perhaps something to work up to one day :)

mrodoc That's why I was quite apprehensive about asking the question. Because different people find different things tough. I am not particularly small and seeing some cavers I look like a man mountain. I have also come to appreciate cave fitness......this bizarre beast that no matter how fit you think you are above ground doesn't matter one bit underground :)

bograt

If you're that big, Maskill Giants through trip in Derbyshire would be an interesting challenge. :) :)

TheVicar

I'm not fat just 6ft 1 and just workout a bit. Which I am slowly seeing isn't great in caves lol
I managed birthday squeeze in Swildon's without any major problems. But I wouldn't have fit if I didn't empty my lungs :eek:

Thats a quality link.

Are the Mendip caves generally easier passages to negotiate IE wider and less squeezes and crawls etc than other parts of the country?

mikem

TheVicar said:
Are the Mendip caves generally easier passages to negotiate IE wider and less squeezes and crawls etc than other parts of the country?
Devon & Forest of Dean, yes; South Wales, Peak & Dales have some much larger...

Mike

Les W

TheVicar said:

NO! Not at all. If you cave in Mendip you'll find moving around most caves in the other main caving regions a doddle...
(Obviously there are exceptions but generally...)

As mentioned above, Devon will make you fell at home. Not sure the Forest of Dean is that tight though...
...unless you're visiting Ban Y Gor...  :tease:

AA Speleo

Plenty of tight caves in the FoD, just need to know the area, I used to be able to get into them, not any more !  :mad:

AA

TheVicar

Space Kadet said:
Mendip. Home to the best cavers in the UK if not the world....

Well we all know that don't we  :tease:

Well its quite interesting to hear that Mendips are known to be a bit tighter than most. I really would like to get up to a few other regions in the future and sample some of the names that pop up on this forum for myself. I think we must be extremely lucky to have such a wide choice over such a small area compared to most countries. It always seems to me that when I read or watch anything to do with caving abroad, it's usually british cavers and almost wholly british cavedivers leading the way.

Pitlamp

You're right - we do have a fantastic variety of superb caves up and down our country. And that's really the point; contemplating the longest / hardest / tightest or whatever is of secondary interest to the fascination of getting to know our wonderful cave resource properly - and understand how it's developed. There's a lot more to caving than just the physical challenge (important though that is).

Fulk

It always seems to me that when I read or watch anything to do with caving abroad, it's usually british cavers and almost wholly british cavedivers leading the way.

With respect, I wouldn't be so sure. There are cavers over the whole world quietly getting on with it; I suspect that we just hear more about the achievements of Brits abroad (for obvious reasons).

TheVicar

FULK  could well be the reason. Literally just last night I watched a doc about Spanish cavers and they looked pretty hardcore and switched on. So perhaps the statement isn't so true. But what does come across is that British cavers are held in high esteem around the world.

I agree Pitlamp. I was down GB on Mendip the other day and although it's quite a casual trip other than climbing up a freezing waterfall because the way out had flooded, it was amazing for myself to see something quite as big as the main chamber existed under our feet. To think this isn't even the biggest chamber on Mendip let alone the UK. I was pretty blown away. But its also seeing some of these formations as well that are quite amazing.
You can tell I'm new as I still can't get over how amazing it is and privileged I am to see some of these caves and explore places that a majority of the population will never see. Still makes me chuckle that the farmer's who let us explore these caves on their land have never seen what they look like!

graham

TheVicar said:
Still makes me chuckle that the farmer's who let us explore these caves on their land have never seen what they look like!

You'd be surprised. An awful lot of Mendip farmers have been down the caves on their land. GB, mind, isn't under farmland, but under a nature reserve. The Chief Executive (the previous one, don't know about the current one) of the Wildlife Trust that owns the land has indeed been down there.

Joe Parsons

The Vicar,

To get just nip back to the body size Vs. cave discussion further up, I am 6ft 3. Weigh about 16 and a half stones and tend to find that caves were built for racing snakes. However, a bit of thought, and the experience gained of "how big am I compared to that" tends to be very helpful. Being big, it is easy to just dismiss access to some places, and indeed, many must be dismissed! But, with careful judgement, you will find you can get through impossibly small spaces. take a look at this video of Fossil Pot, Grassington, N. Yorks.

Fossil pot

Skip to about 5.00 mins, I am in an orange oversuit, trying to get into "The Pie muncher" and at about 7.50 trying to get back out. Its a bloody awkward keyhole shaped slot with a 4ft drop at the other side. Thin cavers just wriggle through, but for me it was more contemplation, and making minimal progress one thrutch at a time. The key, I have found is to make every movement count. Wasting energy in that sort of squeeze is easy, and a real bitch for big cavers.

I have been caving for just over 12 months now, and have been once or twice or sometimes three time a week, most weeks. When I started big SRT trips, my technique was horrible. Wasting energy is easy on rope. As I caved more, my technique improved, as did stamina and fitness. Technique really is the key to big blokes like us exploring some of the finest underground places. Enjoy your caving, and if your in Yorkshire, give me a shout!

TheVicar

Good stuff Joe.
I'm the fittest person I know, have ran ultra marathons and the likes. I cycle or run everyday but none of that has really helped underground  :cry:
I just watched some bloke put a girdle on to get through a tight squeeze in a Welsh cave, very funny but also shows you a big lad can go through a small space :)
I hopefully will be making my way up to Yorkshire one day soon, I think the club is attacking some Welsh caves in the near future and perhaps up to Yorkshire ;)