Lancaster hole depth ?

todcaver

Hi all , having just read a guide which mentions the shaft being 35 m with a ledge 5 metres down -  the cncc rigging says 55m rope but can anyone tell me if a 35m rope will reach the bottom if rigged from the ledge 5m down ?  Any info greatly appreciated  :-\

PeteHall

The CNCC guide is normally pretty good, so if you're not familliar with the rigging I wouldn't try to skimp out on rope lengths. That said I would normally use a 50m rope for Lancaster Hole, which is fine the way I rig it, but you have loads of options with the rigging in there now!

If you don't have a long enough rope, you could always put in a knot pass, or just be prepared to get most of the way down then come back up, just don't forget to put in a good stopper knot in the end if you're not sure it will reach!  :eek:

Alternatively, if you don't have enough rope, why not go in one of the many other entrances that don't need so much, if any rigging?

langcliffe

todcaver said:
Hi all , having just read a guide which mentions the shaft being 35 m with a ledge 5 metres down -  the cncc rigging says 55m rope but can anyone tell me if a 35m rope will reach the bottom if rigged from the ledge 5m down ?  Any info greatly appreciated  :-\

Yes - it will. It's a straight Y-hang from the ledge.

Alex

I rigged the whole thing (1 surface, 1 rebelay anchor and y-hang) with a 39, which just got me to the bottom. I think the depth under 30m, one day I am going to bring my disto and measure just how deep it really is.

Pitlamp

In the days when ladders were the norm, I seem to remember that 4 x 25 ft ladders were just slightly short. (That was when there was a big steel ring right on the lip of the previous entrance lid to belay to.) So my guess is that the true depth of the entrance pitch is between 32 m and 33 m.

I reckon if you use a separate rope for the surface rigging and connect your 35 m rope on at surface, you should reach the bottom OK.

tamarmole

In old money it was always quoted as 110 feet which is 33.5 metres.

Back in the late 90s  I rigged it thus:  Main hang off a boulder at surface, rebelay with fig 8 knot off eco hanger in the narrow section at top, deviation off a second eco hanger just below the narrows giving a nice free hang.  As we always had some rope over I suspect we used a 40m.