Wet Weather Caves in the Peak

YorkshireTea

Ola!

Apologies if this already exists, I couldnt see anything.

Me and a friend want to head to the Peak this Wednesday (21St) to log another region for our LCMLA L1 but the weather looks mighty grim.

Are there any wet weather Level 1 caves (no ropework)?

If not are there any simple dry trips in L2 caves (my friend has very little SRT experience)

Thanks in advance.

Pete K

Suicide Cave (aka Horseshoe) in Winnats Pass is a relic cave. Some L1 type exploration but some good L2 pitches (by-passable) can be rigged off any of the hundreds of bolts. The place is a little unstable at times.

Carlswark Cavern is the go-to wet weather cave in the area. Entering the Gin Entrance you'll be able to go as far as the Eyam Dale shaft and unless very wet weather you can go into the Stalactite Passage area too. This is a wet and muddy trip but not active in the Eyam Passage / Noughts & Crosses area.

Bagshawe Cavern can be visited all the way down to the Dungeon pitch without encountering the stream. Further in than this you may encounter rising water in wet periods.

The second 2 of these are your 2 main group venues round here. A 3rd is the upper parts of Giant's Hole. This is an active swallet and might be best avoided in wetter periods as you enter with the water and follow it most of the way. In practice, the cave can be visited by competent parties in average wet weather as long as you do not descend Garlands Pot. Really wet weather and I'd give it a miss.

There is a trainee leaders group on Facebook for networking for the LCMLA awards in the area (and one in N Wales if you search for it): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1464585190490093/

Brains

Mouldridge Mine is a good L1 venue, as is Holme Bank Chert Mine, the latter is also good for mine hazard awareness

bograt

bograt said:
Devonshire, Jug Holes & Gautries also useful back-ups.

OOPS!!, just realised what I posted  :eek: :eek:, scrap Gautries, not a wet weather trip at all :eek:, brain in neutral  o_O o_O :chair: :chair:

YorkshireTea

Thanks for all the replies, we opted for suicide in the end so my friend could practice SRT and look at a bit of rigging. Carlswark and Bagshawe will definately be visits for next time.

Cheers all

Roger W

I think that that "suicide" should really have a capital S.

Otherwise it reads as if you felt so discouraged you went out and emulated Judas Iscariot (Matthew 27:5)...