Is "It's a Cracker" safe in wet weather?

Alex

Well it does take a stream, so I guess it depends on how wet is wet. I can't think of anywhere it would sump but the ptiches would be very moist with high water.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I have done It's a Cracker in very wet weather and found it damp but perfectly safe if you take care with your rigging.  The photos in Descent were taken under wet conditions and may have been better had we dared to open the darren drum a little more often.  The bottom of Paparrazi is wet where the water is broken across the whole of the shaft but you can hide around the corner where it is dry.  Bottom of Park Bench is also well sprayed.  Easy enough for a good caver but not the place for the inexperienced to linger and get chilled to the core.  You can keep dry on the last pitch of Lost Pot is if you swing over to the Kendal Flyover ledge but again wet at the bottom.

Of course the lower streamway to the master cave will be impassable and dangerous but Tate galleries is fine and the Lyle Caverns stuff.  Over to Notts 2 is risky in the wet as you cannot easily get to the flood route without going into the streamway first where getting washed off your feet is a real possibility.

You can exchange with Boxhead if your rigging down here is good.  I have done this in incredibly wet conditions including big big floods but you need to use all the deviations and keep to the rift on the final descent.  You'll know Boxhead is in big big flood when the third foothold on the entrance pipe is spouting a solid 'stirrup' of water and of course you're going straight through it - hoods up!

Remember Boxhead and Cracker are at the top end of the drainage system and the smaller streams, even when in major flood, are still manageable.  Further down the system it is a completely different story and very sobering to see the size of these 'little streams' crashing down on either side of the Kendal ledge.  Atmospheric in the extreme but well worth seeing for good flood education.  Do take care.

Thanks BadLad that's good info. We actually did the trip yesterday evening. The weather had quietened down, but there was a lot of water on the fell and the stream into Lost John's was high. It's a Cracker was a cracker! and although the water was obviously highish, it was not flood conditions. Our assessment (before reading BadLad's post) was that you probably wouldn't want to be there if the water was much higher. It is a wet place, both on the pitches and between them

Talking to the guy in the Whoop afterwards, he said they'd had a huge amount of rain in the past 24 hours, but as BadLad points out, the cave sits high in the catchment area so it will drain quickly as well as flooding quickly.

Greybeard

It was not rigged in November. We had  to swing/climb over to the Kendal Ext.
Fun for the last man on the way back!

Alex

With Shep pot being close buy does that take any water?

Shep pot is not safe in wet weather as this vid shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZ9P6sgkK8

I did not get to the first pitch, but I assume that would be impassible. The Notts 2 stream-way was fine, though fun as shown in the middle and at the end of the vid you can see how much water is coming down from Box head and Kendal flyover. (all footage from the same day).

Alex

I knew someone would ask me that. At a guess the previous weekend to when I uploaded it which would be late Sept 2017. Oh and edit I meant to say the last waterfall is the water coming down It's a cracker.