Rubbish collection Walks

Ian Ball

Hello,  just been asked if there any charities that go on hill walking trips in the north collecting rubbish?
I have to admit to not knowing of anything organised and less so for a walking point of view.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
A pet hate of mine - I know, I know lots of money is raised for good causes by folks walking the 3 Peaks (well done one and all), however am not convinced that these charity walks don't contribute to the litter found on the 3 Peaks to some extent.

Still it is discussed and folks do get out and collect it :)

https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/national-three-peaks-challenge/criticisms

https://www.alfrescoadventures.co.uk/2019/12/16/litter-picking-the-yorkshire-three-peaks-route/

Pitlamp

That's very encouraging to read, Pegasus.

If we all just had a poly bag with us and scooped up a few bits when we're out and about, we'd keep it looking spick and span. I was out running this morning and came back off the hill via Alum Pot lane. I had my poly bag ready as usual but I didn't see a single piece of litter anywhere. Mind you, after February's weather, with those three named storms, it's probably all been blown into the North Sea somewhere.  ;)

Duck ditch

I?m lucky enough to live in the dales.  On my exercise walks I have took it upon myself to fill a bag of rubbish every walk. Compensation for being able to do decent walks.  I don?t come close to anybody on my walks. If I set off early enough I don?t see anybody at all.  I know this is because people can?t come up here.  So do people feel I?m selfish wandering on the slopes of ingleborough for as long as I like, knowing I?m not going to see anybody.  It?s a dilemma.

Alex

You should not care what people think, you are obeying the law and the principal of the law and that is what matters

mrodoc

Martin Grass is very hot on clearing up on his walks. I don't think I have been anywhere with him when he hasn't returned with litter. We have a lay-by used for fly-tipping and car emptying at the top of the hill in Chard and I have  cleared that a couple of times. What peeves me is that the council has to employ workers to go through the lanes clearing this stuff up. A lot of the stuff is recyclable too eg drinks bottles, wine bottles, cardboard containers, cans etc.  Some councils are also very optimistic about people's ability to take home their rubbish. They took out the litter-bins in the Ferrybridge car park at Portland a few years ago thinking it would encourage people to take their litter home. Fat chance!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I was walking past a well used parking spot in Kingsdale the other week only to notice a KFC bucket and all the bits that go with it, coffee cup, sauces, napkin etc.  There was also the till receipt.  It had been bought in KFC Barrow in Furness - an hours drive away.  It's now in our bin.

I'm also regularly finding party balloons caught on barbed wire or just lying in shakeholes.  The last one I picked up had the instruction not to let it go outdoors.  Some chance.

Duck ditch

I agree with badlad about those helium party balloons.  They seem to land in the remotest of places too.  I fished out one half inflated in a stream a long way above Strans Gill Pot.  I popped it to put in my rucksack which was a mistake because inside there was hundreds of shiny round discs.  My other pet hate of course is dog poo bags.  I have been picking up the black bags the shit having long gone. 

mikem

mrodoc said:
Some councils are also very optimistic about people's ability to take home their rubbish. They took out the litter-bins in the Ferrybridge car park at Portland a few years ago thinking it would encourage people to take their litter home. Fat chance!
What they found in practice was more litter ended up scattered around when bins were present, taking longer for staff to collect than now. So, it does sort of work.

Andy Farrant

I normally find - and pick up - around 2-3 helium balloons a day when out doing fieldwork in SE England. It's probably the most common bit of rubbish I find. I once found a couple tied to a pair of underpants. Other notable 'finds' include a safe, a farmer's wallet (which he was grateful to have returned), a blow up doll (in a sinkhole near St Albans) and a partially dressed female mannequin, again near St Albans...

pwhole

In which case we should be grateful that no-one's filled any blow-up dolls with helium or they'd be on the moon by now, polluting that too.
I wonder what the deal is with St. Albans and the 'rustic hokey-pokey' (to quote someone more literate than I)? Too much spare time on their hands? Not enough hoes? ;)