Low water in Little Neath River Cave

robjones

In Little Neath River Cave today, on the way through the canal bypass to sump 2, we met an outdoor pursuits group who'd had a look at sump 1 and reported that it was low, with a chance that a light might be visible through it. On our way out we detoured to look at sump 1 and it is indeed low, with 8 to 10m of diving line exposed and air space extending a further 8 to 10m. This is presumably the result of the ten days to two weeks of mostly dry weather we've had.

With the mostly dry weather is set to continue well into next week, it is possible that by next weekend the water level may be even lower.  If anyone is intending to visit the Little Neath River Cave or Bridge Cave in the near future, it might be interesting to check the level of sump 1. It would be really interesting if two parties could coordinate a visit to both sides of the sump and see whether a light might be visible through the sump in its present low state.

I'm aware that there have been previous reports of sump 1 being low and I think that an air space has exceptionally been reported. But this is October, not high summer!

Possibly one reason for the level drop might be erosion of the south west side of the downstream bank of stones and gravel which looked to me as though a distinct trench had appeared. But this is on the basis of a few very infrequent visits - so I could well be wrong and the trench is a long term feature. 

alastairgott

I think it's quite low all over. One of my mates called me on his way back from their well attended trip to the Wessex at the weekend and said it was quite low in Swildons.

I was aiding novices in Peak on Sunday, and noted that Tom Browns inlet (on the 'other' side of Buxton Water Sump) was not flowing very fast, and indeed with a few good pumps working it might have been possible to lower the sump if sandbags were deployed.

all other things about seemed normal though. i.e. the inlets that feed squaws junction were flowing, there was some flow out of Lake passage and buxton water was still flowing reasonably (but low).

sorry off topic. :s