Anglesey

digndive

I seem to remember reading of a strong rising,on,or in the sea at Moelfre on Anglesey.Does anyone have any info on this?

Ian Adams

I cannot specifically answer your question (because I don't know) but I do walk past there now and again (was just up the coast yesterday).

The geology of the island is a little "odd" in that it has a hugely varied geological structure for such a small mass of land. Interestingly, Moelfe is one of the very few coastal areas in limestone where a rising is possible.

Googling a map will help but there is one here;;

http://www.kabrna.com/cpgs/anglesey/anglesey.htm

:)

Ian

RobinGriffiths

digndive said:
I seem to remember reading of a strong rising,on,or in the sea at Moelfre on Anglesey.Does anyone have any info on this?

Didn't Gus Horsley have an item in Descent about this?(ages ago) I think there was some depression just inland at Moryn (or Morcyn) that he thought resurged on the beach?

My own hunch is that something might be found along the escarpment along the Lligwy. At this point the limestone sits on a basal sandstone, and dips south east. In a number of places streams or valleys cutting up dip are found, and there may be underground streams cutting up dip as well.

Pitlamp

As it happens I know Paul Kabrna. Send me a normal email Digsndives - I can probably ask him about your query.