Ogof ap Robert

Fiona

Hello,

Does anyone know the best places to park for Ogof ap Robert?
It's been wet for a few days and the ground is soaking but there is no heavy rain. Does anyone know how likely to flood it is from high water levels. Everything I've found online talks about flood pulses.

Thanks for all the help. (y)

Fiona

Huge

Hi Fiona.

Best to park in Trefil as it's the highest starting point, with the shortest walk. If you walk about half a mile (a guess!) up the road, you should be able to spot a bit of a path heading, more or less, straight up the hillside on the left. Once up on top, it's rough going over pretty much pathless terrain. Use a GPS!

I've never been there in wet weather so not sure about flooding. The only thing I've heard is that the choke in the floor of Toad Hall can be a bit dodgy. Not sure if that's because of high water/low airspace or worries about loose boulders. A number of the chokes are supposedly dodgy now.

I'd be interested in hearing how your trio goes as I'm thinking of a trip there, sometime in the new year.

NigR

Fiona,

Ap Robert is a major stream sink and, as such, responds very quickly to heavy rainfall. The entrance series exhibits signs of horrendous flooding and the passage beneath Toad Hall could also quickly become impassable. There are plenty of places to sit it out beyond both these points but you could be in for a very long wait. Best to check the weather forecast before you go!

The cave is little visited and loose boulders can indeed be a problem in places, so tread carefully.