Caving Library - Request For Article

yrammy

Does anyone have a copy of "The Honour of being Human by George Cooper from High magazine No 19 from June 1984". If you would it be possible for your to send a scan of it to the library?

Thanks
Mary

It was reprinted in the 100th edition of High - which I've just dug out from my shelves. Happy to scan it and send it over - where do you want it sending to?

nickwilliams

I've not found the High article yet, but I have found the text of the original article in the Manchester Guardian from which the title is drawn. In case there are readers here who have never seen it, I think it bears repeating:

Editorial comment in Manchester Guardian, March 25th 1959

"The death of a young man in the depths of a pothole in Derbyshire, is moving both by its isolation and for the evidence of human community displayed in the attempts at rescue that went before it. Of the three hundred and more people, policemen, doctors, voluntary rescue workers, who showed such skill and heroism in their efforts to save the life of a fellow human being, it can be said that their devotion brought light into the darkness of the caves. It was not their fault that they did not succeed, and it may be that their very failure will help to save other lives, for it should lead to the equipping of all such rescue teams with light, easily portable oxygen apparatus.

For the young man who died in Peak Cavern, there must be mourning but there can be a sense of pride in him too. Those who risk danger whether in caves, on mountains or at sea, must sometimes have to pay the full price they have pledged. It could not be otherwise. The adventurous cannot guard against all risks without reducing adventure to make-believe.

The death that came in the darkness at Peak Cavern is pitiful, but it is good that there are those who for youth or adventure or a cause are willing to risk such an end. It is in this that the honour of being human exists."

yrammy

Thanks everyone for your help. Thanks to steviet_scg  - please send it to bcra-librarian@bcra.org.uk , thanks you so much.
Mary