The New Inn, Priddy.

Andy Sparrow

What a sad sight.  The New Inn on Priddy Green, closed and boarded up.  The business, according to a note on the door, no longer sustainable.

badger

Unfortunately business struggling is a real sign of the times, shame as I have eaten in the New Inn on quite a few occasions, although generally when the queen Vic has been full.

estelle

Aubrey said:
Yep - The Castle of Comfort closed a week ago.
I heard the owner put the rent up too much!
the boards outside the Castle of Comfort indicated it was closed for refurb and would reopen... their website is still active, although not updated, unlike the New Inn one that is 'under construction'. It's a shame, but i guess in current climates with lots of pubs closing all over the place, it's probably amazing so many pubs have managed to remain open in such a close vicinity to each other really.

The Old Ruminator

Post ought to be Old Mendip Pubs !

I thought my memory was playing me tricks but here it is -

2913.gif

Cerberus held committee meetings there in the late 1960's.

The Old Ruminator

New figures from the CAMRA group show that 300 pubs closed between September 2011 and March 2012, equivalent to 12 a week.

Suburban and rural areas have borne the brunt of the closures while city centres have proved resilient, CAMRA said. While an average of 8 suburban pubs are closing each week, four rural ones are shutting.

Lancashire was the worst hit area. The county saw 68 pubs close over the six month period. The West Midlands was also badly hit, with 37 pubs closing.

CAMRA said that the largely rural nature of these areas was behind the large number of closures.

The group said that pubs have been hit by a 42 per cent increase in beer duty since 2008.

tony from suffolk

Very sad to learn The New Inn's closed. I've many happy memories of sitting in one of the old benches by a big fire in the sixties waiting for Emily Speed, the very elderly landlady, to make a cheese sandwich whilst I supped my half-pint of cider.

dugadig

The Old Ruminator said:
The group said that pubs have been hit by a 42 per cent increase in beer duty since 2008.
And the smoking ban in July 2007. At least the Vic has a shelter!  :blink:

mrodoc

I cannot believe the smoking ban has had much effect. It's benefit on health has been profound and pubs are much nicer places to visit now. But then I am a doctor who has seen too many people keel over as a result of smoking.

Hunter

Shame, had many apr?s cave meals at the New Inn over the years, stayed their a few times as well. Good memories.
Just need to make sure we keep Mr Dors in business! :beer:

paul

I don't know what's worse: a decent pub closing altogether or being converted to a "gastropub" where they want you to eat quickly and then p*ss off to make room for other customers. Unfortunately, there seem to be plenty of those appearing.

Rich West

The (ex) landlord & landlady of the Castle of Comfort are now dispensing food & drinks at the Pheasant in Wookey. The Fire Engine Inn served up its last pints in 1968 when Arthur and Eva James retired. After it closed, the pub and the attached house were combined to form a dwelling, also known as the Fire Engine owned by Mike Thompson - better know to older Mendip cavers as MMT of the Cave Diving Group and an determined digger with NHASA

graham

Rich West said:
The (ex) landlord & landlady of the Castle of Comfort are now dispensing food & drinks at the Pheasant in Wookey. The Fire Engine Inn served up its last pints in 1968 when Arthur and Eva James retired. After it closed, the pub and the attached house were combined to form a dwelling, also known as the Fire Engine owned by Mike Thompson - better know to older Mendip cavers as MMT of the Cave Diving Group and an determined digger with NHASA

Rich, it occurred to me that the New Inn's business model probably became untenable when MMT stopped eating breakfast there twice a day.

Slug

Oddly enough I've heard a different view on this, from a few local residents ,starting several months ago.....the upshot being how it's make a lovely (and very Expensive) House

Dingley Dell

I prefer the Queen Vic, but the landlord of the New Inn did a few of us a good turn when some car keys were lost on a caving trip...he kept the pub open for us, served us beer on a tab (money locked in the car) and kept us in the warm in our wet caving gear until spare keys arrived (which took ages!).  He hung out with us while we waited and was a very nice chap.  But yeah, Queen Vic = better pub imo