Goatchurch - Hellish Tight

andrewmcleod

Right, I have done some searching on here but not found a conclusive answer...

Popped into Goatchurch yesterday for the first time which was quite fun (although if I had read the description more carefully I might have made the Tradesman's entrance and the Coal Chute a bit less exciting by actually bringing a handline...)

In the Water Chamber, heading down the right wall, there are of course a number of passages. Starting at the top right, there is the easy way down to the Drainpipe. The next opening was a very polished tube, snug but not that difficult, which went down first a small drop of about 3 foot with a window on the left at the bottom and then another small tube to the top of the shaft with the ladder in a hole (and the way on to the Drainpipe). I assume this was Hellish Tight?

The next opening was a significantly less polished very small round tube at floor level (but not at the bottom of Water Chamber) which was still quite gravelly. The first part of this is avoidable by going around the side; the second part meets the window after the first drop in what I assume is Hellish Tight. I got almost all the way through this with arms forwards, nearly reaching the big bit of rock at the end you could use to pull yourself out of the window with, but was getting so much oversuit friction that my wriggling progress had slowed from cm per minute to zero, I started to become concerned in a tight space for the first time in my caving career, and beat a hasty retreat! Is this the real Hellish Tight? I will have to try it again some time, possibly sans oversuit and from the other end...

There were more tubes further down that bit of water Chamber but we didn't look down that corner.

For comparison purposes I did a (very painful) 16.4cm squeeze machine at Eurospeleo.

Incidentally, the Drainpipe and subsequent bits seemed fairly spacious (the awkward bend after the puddle being the only interesting bit); half of the Drainpipe I was walking! Went up the ascending squeeze after Final Chamber into the chamber with two digs and a sign saying 'do not touch' and taping. The small boulder at the top of that squeeze is the most improbably attached boulder I have seen; seems solid enough but presumably just calcited on at the one corner it is still attached by!

mrodoc

The one you thought was Hellish Tight is. I could do it when I was fifteen but only did it once and it was tight then!

mikem

In the video I think that what they describe as the bypass is actually Hellish Tight.

Mike

andrewmcleod

mikem said:
In the video I think that what they describe as the bypass is actually Hellish Tight.

Mike

Ah OK, I had only looked at it before now on my phone without any sound :p
Not sure why she was going feet first either!

andrewmcleod

I am happy to report that the extremely tight hole was passed by me and another Exeter caver (although he did it in an undersuit and I had to take off my helmet) :)
There is a (very very) limited amount of polish so it is probably done irregularly by kids etc.
This time we went from the inside; I went in the first part of Hellish Tight and back out through the small hole back into the Water Chamber.

I also did the first (long) part of the Drainpipe (not sure if the second tube to the final chamber counts as the Drainpipe) in 20 seconds, a time that could definitely be improved upon.

Any other really stupidly small tubes or squeezes worth doing? :)

CavingPig

andrewmcleod I think we saw you (or some other EUSS people at any rate!) down there on Sunday! Have you tried the Vee? It's the rectangular hole in the floor on the left hand side of the Boulder Chamber as you're looking towards the Coffin Slab, and it joins the back of the Water Chamber (above where the water comes in). IMO it's not too bad on the way down, I did it on Sunday with my helmet still on, but last year it took me a good couple of minutes coming upwards (not much in the way of footholds) and I decided that time round that it was a helmets-off endeavour.

mikem

The zigzags hole back below the Cracks of Doom (top end of Boulder Chamber) is also quite snug if the rocks that keep dropping down there haven't been removed & there is a bypass from the top of the Cracks direct into the Boulder Chamber.

Also some of the connections in back of the Maze.

The chimney that runs parallel to the Lobster Pot in Sidcot is a helmet off job (& take a rope as it opens out quite impressively below the squeeze).

Mike

aricooperdavis

Oh yeah, the connection at the back of the maze is pretty awkward, it doesn't help that it's also at a fairly steep incline so you are half climbing half squeezing. I wouldn't say it was tight though, helmet stayed on throughout for me!
I've looked down that chimney in Sidcot and didn't even think it was possible - may have to make a return trip now :)

andrewmcleod

aricooperdavis said:
Oh yeah, the connection at the back of the maze is pretty awkward, it doesn't help that it's also at a fairly steep incline so you are half climbing half squeezing. I wouldn't say it was tight though, helmet stayed on throughout for me!
I've looked down that chimney in Sidcot and didn't even think it was possible - may have to make a return trip now :)

I'm pretty sure I did the route round the back of the maze as well. I still haven't done Sidcot, so we may indeed need to make a return trip to Goatchurch and there (need to find all the suggested holes in the Boulder Chamber floor!).

I'm sure somewhere there are enormous glorious formations just beyond a 6.5" squeeze...

mikem

Maybe if you find a link to Fester Hole...

& there are some formations in Orange Peel Passage, with a tight onward connection back to the bottom of the Giant's Stairs.

Mike

Duncan S

If you look at the Sludge Pit survey pinned to the wall of the Wessex there are two places marked where we want to try threading a small caver so we can re-designate the connections from laser shots to 'navigable' passage.
If successful, we are pretty sure these will be first time anyone has been through (assuming Mike Kushy doesn't beat you to it).
If EUSS fancy a go, please message Mike Kushy or I as we'd love to come and watch.  :LOL:

andrewmcleod

Duncan S said:
If you look at the Sludge Pit survey pinned to the wall of the Wessex there are two places marked where we want to try threading a small caver so we can re-designate the connections from laser shots to 'navigable' passage.
If successful, we are pretty sure these will be first time anyone has been through (assuming Mike Kushy doesn't beat you to it).
If EUSS fancy a go, please message Mike Kushy or I as we'd love to come and watch.  :LOL:

sounds interesting... :p will let you know if we get a chance to try! :)

andrewmcleod

Duncan S said:

I assume novices are still banned from Sludge Pit Hole? (which makes coordinating trips a bit more tricky but still possible)

Duncan S

andrewmcleod said:
Duncan S said:

I assume novices are still banned from Sludge Pit Hole? (which makes coordinating trips a bit more tricky but still possible)
Nothing has changed at Sludge Pit.
To be fair - these squeezes are not anything a novice should be attempting. There's a reason we don't think anyone has been through them!
Also - we just removed the survey from the Wessex wall as we were using it as a reference on the surveying trip I'm just back from. Found lots of new tight holes to explore. If you would like more info please contact Mike Kushy or myself :)

Andy Sparrow

Duncan S said:

There is a passage we found back in the early 70s we called 'The Link'.  This tight right angle bend connects the two otherwise separate elements of the upper series.  You can find it from the Aragonite Rift side by traversing over the normal squeeze that connects with the main rift.  You then traverse over a pitch (into main rift) before it gets tight, then turns the corner.  Back in the day we were all skinny as rakes but only our smallest caver could pass the bend.  Look for it on the other side as a tight side passage on the right as you approach Triple Arch.

mikekushy

aricooperdavis said:

Take a rope for the Sidcot chimney,  If it's where I think you mean. it opens up at the bottom.