Sad News - Keith Joule

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

Sadly, Keith Joule died yesterday while on a Crewe CPC trip in Lancaster Easegill. He collapsed on his way over the fell to the cave, and, despite efforts by the party, CRO and paramedics, he did not recover.

Keith was a fellow DCRO Controller, a very good friend and a steady caving partner to me and many others throughout the Peak, and he'll be greatly missed.

Brains

Sorry to hear that, only caved with him a few times but was always fun.
Thoughts are with his fanily and friends

Pete K

Such a shame. He was a really friendly person to chat to, either behind the counter at Hitch n Hike or at DCRO events. A great loss to caving and my deepest condolences to those he leaves behind.

bograt

Finding this hard to take in, a 40year long caving friendship, can't believe he's not around any more.
  Futher details ASAP please.

adep

Moments before he collapsed, Keith was shouting me directions to top sink entrance when I turned to look back the rest of the team was gesturing to me to rush over, when I got there Keith was in the recovery position but there was no reaction from his pupils and no pulse, we started CPR and sent two back to bull pot to raise the alarm, myself and steve collie carried on with CPR for approx 90minutes, a very long time as anyone knows but you carry on just In the hope that he will survive.

The air ambulance arrived and hooked Keith up but they could get no response and further CPR was pointless.

This was obviously some kind of massive heart attack or stroke, he went down so suddenly without any sound my thoughts are he was dead before he hit the floor, certainly there was no suffering or any sense of what was happening.

Keith had been his normal self all day, and I don't think he had any sense of feeling unwell, he at least died doing something he loved and was born to do, Keith was always a pleasure to cave with being competent and reliable, he was one of the most likeable guys I know, I shall miss him..

My condolences to his family

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting the details and well done with your CPR efforts.  Of course he has died too young, but that aside, what a way for a caver to go.  I'll take that any day.  I'm sure in the fullness of time his friends and family will take comfort in the knowledge that he went so quickly doing something that he loved all his life.  Condolences to all.

Mark Wright

Hearing the very sad news this morning brought back memories not just of caving but of the many nights we had in the local pubs and folk clubs around Derbyshire. Keith was a mean folk singer back in the 1980's as I'm sure Bograt will fondly remember.

I was lucky enough to be involved in some excellent TSG digging projects with him, probably the most memorable trip being with Keith and Phil (Clepto) Smyth when we connected Peak and Speedwell together back in 1984. He will be sadly missed but fondly remembered by everyone who knew him.

My wishes go with him and his family, I will miss the friendly face at h and h,
And the caving and cave rescue family has lost a great member, jez

bograt

Mark Wright said:
Hearing the very sad news this morning brought back memories not just of caving but of the many nights we had in the local pubs and folk clubs around Derbyshire. Keith was a mean folk singer back in the 1980's as I'm sure Bograt will fondly remember.

A lot of fine voices around in those days Mark.

Mark Wright said:
I was lucky enough to be involved in some excellent TSG digging projects with him, probably the most memorable trip being with Keith and Phil (Clepto) Smyth when we connected Peak and Speedwell together back in 1984. He will be sadly missed but fondly remembered by everyone who knew him.

That reminds me of a certain enlarged squeeze, but thats another thread.

biffa

This is very sad news.

I met Keith through DCRO and was always amazed at his ability as a DCRO controller to avoid ever having to be 'in control' in the van and disappearing underground to lead from the front at the first instance.  Later on I remember challenging Keith as to which one of us could get underground first on rescues and practices which is a game I always lost.

Recently I started digging with Keith in Giant's Hole and was always impressed by his ability to show complete indifference to all the other boulders in the choke whilst poking the biggest, scariest looking one.  His enthusiasm for trying to find new passage and his ability to talk a good 'scaffolding' and then carry on without it will be happy memories of Keith.

Keith was someone I knew I could rely on 100% underground whether that was poking boulder chokes or with DCRO.  He managed to do this whilst being a genuinely nice bloke and always having something good to say or a tale of boulders dodged.

SamT

So sad to here this.  Keith was always a cheery upbeat person and always good for a bit of banter over the counter at HnH.
Condolences to his family and those close to him.

RIP Keith.

wellyjen

Still having trouble taking it in that Keith is gone. Whenever I went caving, or to the mountains with him I knew we were in for an adventure. Keith was always enthusiastic and keen to explore any bit of passage to its conclusion. Just an all round good bloke and immense fun to be with.

Status
Not open for further replies.