Julian Fortnum Obituary

rhychydwr1

Julian Fortnum Obituary

ENCHIRIDION TO THE TOTALITY / A Manual to explorations beyond the Universe, Reason and Death by J Fortnum and R E Bollard 1993 289 pp no illustrations! No price give, I stole my copy. Available from:
PO BOX 1622, FYSHWICK, ACT 2609 , AUSTRALIA.  Or Amazon at ?16.50

I first met Julian Fortnum in 1964 when we were members of the Mendip Nature Research Committee, we did a lot of caving and even worked in together in the old College of Technology at Ashley Down. Julian was a Pharmacology Technician and I can still remember his skill in reeling off a stream of long. scientific words in what appeared to make sense.

These characteristics reappears in this book. Part of Julian's work was vivisection. Experimenting on animals without anaesthetic, injecting animal tissue with chemicals on so. It comes as no surprise to find, 25 years on that Julian is advocating vegetarianism.

Julian made a couple of attempts to escape from Bristol. His destination was Burma, but he only got as far as Turkey before the heat and insects drove him back. When he emigrated [fled?] to Australia we were alarmed that he might go native. This book confirms our worst fears. He now shows an unhealthy disrespect for law and order. He despises people who work hard. He advocates the use of chemicals, but this is not entirely Australia's fault. He participated in many Drug Company drug trials whilst in Bristol and this could have endangered his health and his reason.

But enough excuses. What about the book? In short, it advocates and describes mesmerism or self hypnosis in 298 pages. The many footnotes at the end of each chapter makes difficult reading and I have the feeling that a good editor could have reduced the text by 90%. What you may ask is "Enchiridion"? Thankfully the [com]posers as the author call themselves explain, "The Enchiridion blossomed from the magnificent wilderness areas of the Great Dividing ranges of New South Wales, Australia. This book is therefore dedicated to those magic places which gave the composers twenty years of quietitude?.

Why did I review it? Because it mentions the word "cave? twice.

TO

The British Caver Vol 117 page 22