Caving in the Dales

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone

Following today's changes in government and sister activity organisations advice we'll be shutting down the online booking system and halting issuing permits until further notice.  I'm sure everyone is sensible enough to act on the advice without me telling them what to do.  However as a representative organisation we would not want anyone to think caving in the Dales is open.  When we get the all clear we will open the system back up again.

Until then, be safe and good luck to all.
Tim Allen
CNCC Access officer

David Rose

What's so sad about this is that there's at least one dig to my knowledge right now that's practically wide open. What if someone pirates it and grabs all the glory during the crisis? I suppose we just have to trust our fellow cavers to be decent and responsible citizens.

ali_mac

David Rose said:
What's so sad about this is that there's at least one dig to my knowledge right now that's practically wide open. What if someone pirates it and grabs all the glory during the crisis? I suppose we just have to trust our fellow cavers to be decent and responsible citizens.

Then I would hope they receive the shunning from the wider community they would be due, for suck reckless, selfish behaviour

JoshW

David Rose said:

Practically wide open! I?m tempted to go now!

Maj

Once we get back to it, our current dig that has a roar of a stream not too far ahead could go anytime in the following weeks  :unsure:

months  :-[

years??? :cry:

Maj.

Alex

Now the advice has changed or will do on Wednesday, will it be possible to get permits or at least restricted permits again? I guess its going to have to be
re-negotiated with the land owners.

mikem

As you can only do stuff by yourself (or with family), I doubt many permitted caves will open.

Ed

mikem said:
As you can only do stuff by yourself (or with family), I doubt many permitted caves will open.

Quiet a few of cave with members of the same household - so technically should be OK. Though sticking to simple pottering caves for safety's sake.
  But wait for the official advice from BCA.

PeteHall

Ed said:
mikem said:

Quiet a few of cave with members of the same household - so technically should be OK. Though sticking to simple pottering caves for safety's sake.
  But wait for the official advice from BCA.

And I'm sure quite a few cave solo too  :)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Alex - (everyone)

I think ultimately at this time you must make your own decisions.  We'll need to see (between now and Wednesday) what detail, if any, is put on yesterdays announcements.  The easing of lockdown restrictions has begun but the dangers of COVID19 are still there.  The on-line booking systems for Leck, Ingleborough and Casterton will remain inactive for now.  Not least because I will need to present a good case to the landowners/managers before opening them up.  The comments I made on the other thread here stand https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=26433.msg323287;topicseen#new  Key amongst them are:

Whatever people do choose to do once restrictions are eased it is worth emphasising that public perceptions of caving do not necessarily match reality - especially over perceived risk.

Anyone visiting the Dales should be aware that sentiments can run high.  Some local people are vulnerable and scared of the virus and this should be respected.

On behalf of CNCC I would ask that everyone exercises more caution than in normal circumstances.  Cave well within your capabilities.  Pay strict attention to guidebook and local warnings.  Check and double check all your equipment.  Try a little refresher training in a safe environment before committing to a vertical trip.  Watch the weather more closely than ever before.

From what I have seen so far the Mountain Rescue Services would echo these comments.  We'll be getting a press release for them and presumably BCRC very soon.

Cheers
Tim
CNCC Access

mikem

Scottish mountain rescue managed to get a notification out last night, but then they have an easier set of guidelines.