Free Spin Dryer

Graigwen

I have always thought of spin dryers as the opposite on toasters.

Toasters look good, and work well at first before soon breaking.

Spin dryers never look good, are noisy, but work well forever. I don't understand why the brushes in the motor don't wear out after twenty or thirty years.

crickleymal

Graigwen said:
I have always thought of spin dryers as the opposite on toasters.

Toasters look good, and work well at first before soon breaking.

Spin dryers never look good, are noisy, but work well forever. I don't understand why the brushes in the motor don't wear out after twenty or thirty years.

You're right, my mother had an old spin dryer for years. It wore out about 10 years ago (after a life of 40 years) and was replaced by something that looks identical.

royfellows

I have a toaster 30 years old, also the microwave. A throw back to the days when you could still see how to use a thing just by looking at it.

Maj

Graigwen said:
I don't understand why the brushes in the motor don't wear out after twenty or thirty years.

Perhaps built in obsolescence was still in its infancy then. Maybe newer models won't last as long.

Or would I be too cynical to suggest that the basic design and motors used for spin dryers hasn't changed at all, since the people that buy and use them aren't looking to renew them every couple of years when there is a new colour or electronic function available and umpteen different spin cycles and speeds. There is probably not a big enough market to plough a lot of money into research and development thinking up marketing and design gimmicks to persuade people to throw out a perfectly serviceable product, I think those that use them are just looking for functionality.

Maj.

droid

Unless you've binned it, the one at the Station was my mother's for about a decade. I remember dragging it to her house on the 72 bus about 20 years ago....or more..... :LOL: