Stoke Lane Slocker

Stupot

Whilst parking on the lane on Sunday 6th August we were approached by the private security for the quarry stating that there is no permission to access the cave and to park on the road. The lay-bys are now filled with mud and its very difficult to park.

Just an FYI

Cheer

Stu Gardiner

maxf

That is a shame... Hopefully the security guards are just there for the summer holidays ?

There appear to be several footpaths right past the cave so they surely cannot deny access to these...

photo sharing free

Duncan Price

maxf said:
There appear to be several footpaths right past the cave so they surely cannot deny access to these...

Max is right - there is a footpath going down the valley right past the stream sink entrance and the field is owned by Stoke Bottom Farm.  I understand that the farmer does not give permission to enter the cave.  I think that it is a different outfit who own Cook's Wood Quarry that is being developed for a holiday complex and there's also Holcombe Quarry where the local scrotes go tombstoning.  Not being able to park on Bector lane is no bad thing if you value your car.

dugadig

The cave isn't gated.. just park near the weighbridge tidily then follow the footpath from Stoke bottom farm.
There are no access restrictions.

maxf

I drove past today so had a little look down the lane, the usual place I would park for visit to Stoke Lane ( where the footpath meets the road) has been blocked by a large boulder however it is still possible to park fairly close to this.

Further down the road towards the quarry entrance more boulders are blocking the parking/ passing places, there is a big sign up at the gate and obvious works going on inside. No sign of any security so perhaps that was just for the summer holidays.

badger

http://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=access:start

I believe there is access restrictions. according the cscc website. whether you decide to take notice of them is different

Les W

badger said:
http://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=access:start

I believe there is access restrictions. according the cscc website. whether you decide to take notice of them is different

There are no access restrictions, there is no formal access agreement and the landowner has said that if asked he will refuse. However, the public footpath goes right past the ungated entrance and the cave is wide open.

What there is, is issues with the parking, due to the issues with the quarry down the road. If you go there, park sensibly and legally, change discretely (If you want to stay off any "registers"...) and be courteous to anybody you may meet.

mikem

Laybys seem to have been opened up again.

Back in the winter the stream was sinking well above the entrance, but last Friday there was water running into it - there hadn't been any rain so where was it coming from?

Mike