DistoX2 Calibration issue, Help!

Hall2501

Recently a friend dropped my DistoX2 in a puddle, the compass now appears to have something wrong with it...

When I turn the disto on it's side while still pointing it in the same direction, the compass baring changes by +80?, making calibration difficult as the software I'm using can't automatically group the shot's together because there is too much overlap in the data.

I've tried factory resetting it, the only thing I can think of is: Is there a way to calibrate a disto without using an automatic grouping algorithm? i.e I input the calibration data in a specific order & the calibration software works it out from that. Or am I going to have to get a new board?

Cookie

Your post suggests you might be using a different calibration method from the usual one. Can I check you using the full calibration procedure from the DistoX2 website using PocketTopo with some 56 shots?

If not then try that, otherwise I think you'll need to email Beat Heeb for his advicce. His email address is on the website.

Hall2501

Thanks for the link Cookie, did you find your PDA case in the end?

... Facepalm

Just read through the calibration manual: found this particularly useful:

"IMPORTANT:
The calibration measurements must be done in an undisturbed magnetic environment. It is
practically impossible to do a precise calibration in a house or near buildings. Even metal
screws in wooden constructions have an influence! The best environment is either a cave or a
forest. "

Seem's I had forgotten how a compass works  :clap:

Hence, attempting to calibrate my disto in a house in the middle of a city may not work - went out into the local park and the problem disappeared.

Was using topodroid to calibrate it*

Cookie

Not yet, I'll collect it the next time I'm on the Hill.

Glad you sorted it. As they say, RTFM  :)

Hall2501

Turn's out I had to go through more than just go to a park, the readings were still changing by 60? when I rolled the disto in the park the park, I think any nearby buildings wouldn't be enough to cause that. It took me a while to work out how to do it but my disto is now calibrated >1.0 degrees. Will explain what I did in a new post soon.