New Access Arrangements at Merstham, Surrey

Peter Burgess

Following discussions with the land agents, access to the medieval stone quarries at Merstham (Bedlams Bank) is being tightened. Locked gates are being fitted immediately. Access will still be possible, but anyone wishing to visit the old quarries should contact WCMS, who are the only group that the land agents currently deal with. They are not content for us to issue keys to third parties, so in order to visit this important archaeological and historical site, interested groups or individuals will have to contact us to arrange a trip. We have had to increase our Public Liability insurance cover to meet the agents' conditions. Our increased cover is specific to this site and allows us to visit the site with guests.

We appreciate that this is going to inconvenience some people, however the alternative may easily have been the permanent blocking of the entrances. We hope that by controlling access on behalf of the agents, they will be reassured that the site is now less of a liability to them, which is how it had been perceived.

Contact 'enquiries[at]wcms.org.uk'

D

Dep

Well done Peter,
at least it ensures access for bona fide cavers/miners for the future...

Peter Burgess

At the February committee meeting of WCMS, it was agreed that more information should be provided on the background to the work that has been done at Merstham, and on future access to the Bedlams Bank workings there. There was a feeling that lack of information may result in wrong conclusions being made about the role of WCMS in the tightening up of access to these mine-workings.

Background

Following the unfortunate circumstances which led to some acrimony between WCMS and one of the landowners at Quarry Dean, Merstham, WCMS resolved to place our hitherto fairly informal relationship with the owners of the neighbouring Bedlams Bank quarry on a firmer footing. We were concerned that if similar misunderstandings about cavers' activities at Bedlams Bank had arisen, then there was a significant risk that access to all the mines at Merstham would cease.

The Agents

Details of our then arrangement with the agents were sent to them as a reminder, asking for confirmation that our activities on the property were still in order. The agents requested a meeting with us, at which we could discuss our request in detail, face to face. At that meeting, the agents emphasized that their main priority was to minimise liability to the owners, and that the simplest way to do this would be to fill the entrances in. They were, fortunately, speaking hypothetically, but they were making a valid point. We spent some time outlining the history of cavers' activity at the site, going back some 40 years. We emphasised the archaeological and historical importance of the site, and our long-standing record of research and investigation.

The agents were concerned that the entrances should be secured. We described the work we had done at our expense in previous years to good effect at Godstone, where secure access has been maintained by us, and the owners interests were thereby well protected. The agents thought that a similar arrangement would be acceptable. The arrangement for most of the Godstone sites is that properly equipped cavers may enter the mines provided the entrances are kept secure, and that the bat hibernation season restrictions are respected. In practice, WCMS maintains the locks, and has issued keys to those cavers who visit the sites on more than just an occasional basis. We have a 'can do' attitude for anyone, caver or otherwise, who wants to look around.

WCMS has a long-standing licence agreement with the local authority to undertake certain activities in the Reigate Caves, and we suggested that a similar arrangement might be the best way to formalise our permission to enter the Bedlams Bank workings.

The agents were quite adamant that they did not want 'youth groups' running trips into the mines, even though we emphasised the value of such activities.

The meeting ended quite up beat, and we waited for the wheels to start turning. This was in the spring of 2005.

The Licence

We provided some helpful ideas on what should be in the licence, such as a requirement to follow NAMHO exploration and conservation guidelines. The document went into force in May 2006. The following issues presented WCMS with an awkward challenge. Despite other landowners in the UK being satisfied with cavers having £2M PL insurance cover, the agents could not be persuaded to reduce the level of required cover from £5M. The agents also insisted that when the entrance was secured, they would not permit us to issue keys to third parties, as has been our practice at Godstone. This second issue has given us some serious problems. More of this later.

The Entrance

Our commitment to improve the security of the entrance was not actioned until the crops in the surrounding field had been harvested, so we could drive vehicles to a convenient access point without causing any damage. Problems experienced with on-site welding means that the final task of installing the gate has yet to be done. This has been further affected by very muddy conditions. The gate will be a steel plate secured to a steel frame by a padlock.

Access

Because we are not permitted to issue keys to third parties, we had to come up with a solution that would not necessarily deny access to those who are not WCMS members.

Our £5M PL insurance cover for Bedlams Bank provides cover for WCMS trips and includes guests. So provided any trip into the system is arranged by WCMS, the insurance will cover it. This was specifically requested of the insurers so we could accommodate non-WCMS cavers who wanted to continue to visit Bedlams Bank. So the onus is very much on WCMS to provide help to non-members when they want to visit the mine. We are fully aware that there are cavers who do visit the mine and know their way around it without a leader. However, under the conditions imposed on us, there is in theory no way we can just lend a key and let them get on with it. This presents us with an awkward situation, since some of the non-WCMS cavers who visit probably know the mines just as much as we do.

It is a medium-term aim of WCMS to have the awkward restrictions on access lifted in the future, to the extent that we will be able to issue keys to third parties, much as we have done at Godstone. Meanwhile, we have to respect the conditions placed on us. I suspect that changes will only come with time as we demonstrate goodwill to the landowner, and a responsible approach to activities on their land.

Conclusion

Even though the outcome of our discussions with the agents are not ideal, provided the agents continue to observe us acting responsibly, there is every chance that access in some form or another will continue indefinitely on a proper basis. WCMS, as at Godstone, want to have a 'can do' attitude to access for all. WCMS aims to have access procedures to Bedlams Bank relaxed as far as is practical within the terms laid down by the agents.

Postscript

A comment has been heard that WCMS took the actions we did as a means to increase our membership numbers. We do not need to increase our membership levels, which have been very healthy for a number of years. An increase in membership numbers actually costs us money, since income from other sources allows us to keep our membership fees down, and the more members we have, the greater is the pressure on this 'subsidy.'

S

stuart j goldsmith

:eek:

Well done Peter,

We all hope you dont loose the keys or forget to take them with you .

Dont get locked in.

Peter Burgess

stuart j goldsmith said:
:eek:

Well done Peter,

We all hope you dont loose the keys or forget to take them with you .

Dont get locked in.

Dear Stuart, as you well know, as it was you who chose the type of lock, it is not possible to get locked in, as the key remains captured in the lock when it is open, and one cannot snap it shut without a key. So unless I throw the key back out through the hole so I can't reach it, or I drop it somewhere underground,I cannot get locked in, you cheeky s*d.

I might leave it at home though.  :-[

Geoff R

I well recall the time (in Bedlams) when a certain person padlocked their electron ladder, had the wrong key with them and was rather thankful I by chance happen to have a hacksaw in my car - no names mentioned err Peter  ;) ;) ;)

Stuart, its as well YOU chose the new Bedlams padlock !  (y)

D

darkplaces

Peter Burgess said:
Our increased cover is specific to this site and allows us to visit the site with guests.
Guests? Uninsured people?

Dep "bona fide cavers/miners" - What does that mean?
Actually I'll answer my own question... It means nothing, its a relative term which usually means 'your mates' but normally trotted out to mean people you know in a club which is incorrect. It is a term without an objective to quilify it.

Peter Burgess

I would have thought it was extremely obvious, except perhaps to those with a bone to pick, that the 'guests' of a club are purely and simply non-members accompanying members.

And anyone who answers their own questions wasn't going to listen to a reply from anyone else anyway, so there is little point in responding, expect perhaps to enlighten others.

D

Dep

c**tplaces said:
Dep "bona fide cavers/miners" - What does that mean?

Bona fide means genuine...
In this context a 'genuine' caver/miner  is anyone who has a genuine interest in the old workings.

Just to clarify for your benefit DP - this does not imply that they have to belong to a club or be a BCA card holder or even that they know the secret handshake.

Bona fide cavers includes people such as yourself - basically anyone who will appreciate and value the sites for what they are. We do of course draw the line at idiots who want to do things not in the interests of the site - but that seems reasonable and standard practice everywhere I have ever been.

To date we have NEVER turned ANYONE away.

The only requirement is that they ask us for access - and then we always do our very best** to ensure that they get it. That is the way this has always worked in general and there are no plans (or perceived need) to change this.

**It should also be noted that we are all volunteers and gain nothing from doing this except the warm glow of satisfaction - exactly the same reason that you dedicate so much of your time and energy to the Box Mines for example - like me you have probably spent many hundreds of hours of your free time taking people around and answering questions for no more reward then that warm glow. True?

Peter Burgess

No, Dep, what I really enjoy is the power I get from being able to tell others when they can or cannot have a trip.  ;)

It makes up for all the awkward deliberations we have had with the owner's agent, and all the hard graft we did, putting in the gate at their insistence and at our expense.

D

Dep

haha!
... and the many man-hours spent explaining it all ad nauseum...

D

darkplaces

graham said:
Just don't publish the NGR or DP will have the gate off before you can blink.
:halo: Oh the pain of being misunderstood.... I'm a bit fik and like to clarify things.

...now were is my portable, backpack mounted gas axe  :tease:

D

Dep

badger said:
Is the gate now in place?

It is indeed, the other entrance is also closed off to prevent access - although emergency exit is possible.
Contact WCMS for access - PM me for specific person to contact.