Christmas cave caving?

benshannon

There is a tradition in the peak District amongst rock climbers about climbing Christmas crack on Christmas day. It got me thinking. Is there a similar thing in caving? Is there even a Christmas cave?

Fulk

There's a Christmas Pot, up on the Allotment, that connects with Grange Rigg Pot; but as far as I am aware, there's no tradtition of 'doing' it on Christmas Day.

A couple of years ago cpc had their pre-Christmas meet at Christmas Pot on the Allotment, complete with mince pies and mulled wine. (this year about 25 of us went up to Alum Pot on a very snowy day)

Attachments

• P1140516.JPG
    P1140516.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 153
  • P1140531.JPG
    P1140531.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 146
  • P1140518.JPG
    P1140518.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 137

Pitlamp

Christmas Cave at Giggleswick, an obscure 1940s Leakey discovery and not easy to locate.
Somewhere I have a letter from Bob explaining the full story of how it was found.

(There is some confusion with New Cave; the new Northern Caves database has the details and this should be ironed out by the time the Ingleborough edition appears. It was re-found a few years ago by a local caver based in Ribblesdale; she wrote a few notes about it in Descent, or maybe Caves & Caving; can't remember offhand.)

AR

There's Christmas Swallet (P9) on Rushup Edge, though currently no access allowed.

Pitlamp

. . . not to mention Christmas Rift, where the sump in Preacher's Cave (Wild Boar Fell) finally surfaces.

A_Northerner

Christmas Aven in P8 too. A few SUSS members used to visit during the Festive Season for an annual digging trip there when it was an ongoing project.