Newbie with a squeeze question

A

Ash1955

Hi, I guess I am a newbie since caving has not been a regular part of my life and most of the caves I have been in are basically tourist caves though I have encountered a few nameless wild caves. This has been in Western Australia and South East Asia.

It?s the caves and their formations  that  fascinate me and I have never done any SRT or technical caving.

Most of these have been walk, stoop or crawl with a couple with passages involving squeezes

I?m going on an adventure caving trip next week as a replacement for a teacher and have suddenly realised I have become broader over the years than my out-of-date mental self-image.

I?ve also been told that there are a couple of short but tight sections and am looking for advice on squeeze techniques. A teacher was stuck on one the previous year.

My practice in the past has been elbow and knee/toe crawling or lying on my back and wriggling through head first.

I?m sure there are smarter techniques but I haven?t been able to locate them on the net.

Can anyone direct me to a site or offer any advice?

Thanks

Ash

cap n chris

Welcome to the forum, Ash1955!

If you are indeed going on an adventure caving trip as a teacher's replacement, is it fair to presume that the trip is being led by a caving organisation, also presumably with some kind of qualified leader? ... if so then worry not since the caving leader will be able to instantly gauge (from sight, and based on their experience of other people doing the same obstacle) whether you will physically fit; suitable psychological reassurance, if required, should also be provided by the leader.

Also, the caving trip will be run according to the NGB philosophy of no-one being forced* to do anything they do not wish to do (other than returning to daylight, of course!). [*Although there may be a fair bit of psychological coercion to do stuff at which you might first baulk].

Crawling on your front is often the most efficient method of progress, reptating is another style (i.e. commando crawling).

If there are genuine squeezes then passing through with your back to the ground can be good since it makes breathing much easier (head to one side); keep your breathing nice and slow, go gently and keep a steady head - thrashing around will only result in bruising and the cave will remain the same shape! Remain cool and 'cave softly'.

If you haven't caved in a while and/or if you don't engage in regular rigorous exercise then you might find that for a day or two after the trip you will discover some aching body parts!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other tips from people on their preferred approach(es) to squeezes but I hope this response is of some use to you!

HNY and enjoy your trip(s)!

A

Ash1955

Many thanks Cap'n,

If this was the UK, Australia or Europe I wouldn't have a single concern but this is in Asia and having seen a lot of operators I know the standard is often poor.

I do outdoor work here but my friends in the rope skills business here have never heard of the operator or his skills.

I am only a tag along helper and did not arrange anything. The previous year a teacher got stuck so I think their size assessment leaves something to be desired.  The kids should be okay but at 6' 2" and 92kg I may find it a bit tight.

I'm not claustrohobic and was a wreck diver but don't like entrpment

Burt

Hi Ash

Mental "toughness" is as important as physical prowess. Keep calm, shift one bit of your body at a time and keep calm. Tell yourself you can always get out. Dont think about the squeeze, think about your movements. Regulate your breathing. Oh, and keep calm.

You'll be alright!

Aubrey

One hint:
    Dont go into downhill squeezes head first unless you are 100% sure you will get through.

A

Ash1955

Aubrey,

Thanks. Does that mean I should do downhill squeezes feet first?

Ouan,

No its Malaysia. I'll do a trip report. If they are dodgy I'll name them. Wouldn't be fair to do so without trying them out.

Thanks All. I'll remember Keep Calm Keep Cool  :eek:

Cookie

Generally in un-explored passage you should keep your head above your feet.  :sneaky:

So if the passage is heading up you should go head first. If the passage is going down you should go feet first.

Although, if you can see ahead and there is enough space to turn around in you can do either, whichever you think best at the time.

Going feet first down a constricted passage brings its own problems. You can't see where you are going because your body is in the way. Your feet have to become your eyes - probing for that potential drop.  :eek:

ian.p

most important thing is just to relax if your tense you take up much more space.

A

Ash1955

Just saw a DVD of the place.

Its a squeeze alright 15 metres or so.

Okay for you guys but a challenge for me.

The entrance is okay but the exit is scary small.  With a few inches of water in a chamber at the exit point

Crawling is not an option except at the start a woman fiend told me. Got to "fly" like Superman or do the Mr. Elastic trick. :eek:

Probably too tight for any phototaking in the squeeze itself.

Elaine

A sensible precaution is not to be either first or last if you are the biggest member of the party.

Don't forget, if it is horizontal and you got in there, you should be able to get out again.

A

Ash1955

Thanks for that.

I've worked out how I got into this. The teacher who is organising this could not get anyone else to come along with her after the stuck teacher from the previous year told his tale!

My wife proposed my name!

A

Ash1955

Damn! I shouldn't have signed up for that million dollar policy! :mad:

cap n chris

Elaine said:
A sensible precaution is not to be either first or last if you are the biggest member of the party.

Seems reasonable but on second thoughts surely it's preferable to be first in the group so that if an obstacle is too small to negotiate, the whole group at least can stick together to take stock of its options rather than discovering the obstacle to too small after some group members have already passed it, thus meaning the group leader is left in the unenviable situation of having a split team - at least if the group leader remains in the half of the group with the person unable to clear an obstacle he/she can return said person to daylight and then rejoin the remaining team and continue but if the obstacle is a fair way in and communication to the team members who have cleared the obstacle is difficult, or compromised, then a Chinese Whisper problem is likely to occur and a mini epic could unravel. 

Rachel

If the big person is in the middle though, they have the benefit of people available for pulling/pushing at each side.

To the original poster - I'm nothing like skinny but I can generally get through whatever gap I need, albeit slowly. The only times I've ever damaged myself in a squeeze were where it was so tight, my head (with helmet on) was getting stuck.

crickleymal

Rachel said:
To the original poster - I'm nothing like skinny but I can generally get through whatever gap I need, albeit slowly. The only times I've ever damaged myself in a squeeze were where it was so tight, my head (with helmet on) was getting stuck.
Oh for the days when I could get through a squeeze where I had to push my helmet and lamp in front of me  :(