caving with a knee replacement

fido

any one know any one that still caves with a knee replacement and how it might restrict them ?

Wayland Smith

What is the stability of the new joint?
Will you be putting yourself at risk?
Very much more important will you be putting your team mates, or rescue personal at risk?

Exercise and test it on surface first.
Always tell your trip leader before starting underground.

Jenny P

You need to get the knee loosened up first so that's basically non-weight-bearing (maybe using one of those armchair cycling machines), then on to walking properly and putting weight on it. 

After that, the next worry is whether it will stand up to prusiking if you are doing SRT - best to practice on something simple and short at first.

Crawling is likely to be the real test so use good knee-pads and try out on the carpet at home first - it may look daft but worth a try.

I don't have new knee (2 hips instead), but himself had a new knee and that was his programme for getting back to caving.

Leclused

A member of our club has a knee replacement after a kite accident and is still joining us on expeditions doing 12h+ trips going deep in the Anialarra system (400m pitches).  But I must say he is in good physical condition.

Beside some swelling he has no problems with the knee.

He is using 2 pairs of kneepads. A pair that is build in his undersuit (AV)  and a pair above.

Ian Ball

I use two pairs of knee pads,  both external as I'm a cheap skate.

I use the normal non adjustable tube of neoprene on my leg, then a heavier duty pair over it which I can take off or move down my shin if I'm walking or climbing a rope.

mrodoc

I have caved with at least one person who has had a knee replacement. He had had it done only a few months before and I think it was his first trip. It was a short cave in New Mexico and involved a fair bit of crawling. He felt fine afterwards and is still caving. Get mobile first and do all the exercises seems to be the message. The orthopods would probably have a fit but I don't think they would advise caving with a hip replacement either and there are plenty of people who cave with those.

nearlywhite

mrodoc said:
The orthopods would probably have a fit but I don't think they would advise caving with a hip replacement either and there are plenty of people who cave with those.

Hahahahaha, I think you might be quite right.
If it's any help the maxim usually taught is push yourself to a comfortable level - and there's many different levels of misery caving to be had so just go with what your body is telling you you can get away with. Again, better to find out on the surface than underground.

Restriction wise, some of the more fiddly squeezes (doglegs etc) may not be possible anymore (as you compromise function to reduce pain) but if you're using common sense you won't go wrong.

Or so I've heard  ;)

fido

thanks for all the replies - not had procedure yet - just was feeling a bit gutted as i am hoping to retire and do a bit more gentle caving then  this comes out the blue ( well not exactly but was hoping to put it off a few more years !)
you've cheered me up .

tony from suffolk

Having rheumatoid arthritis has sadly stopped me from caving, but I had a total right knee replacement about three years ago, and I really cannot imagine it interfering with caving, as long as a bit of sensible care's taken. If I kneel on a hard surface it's pretty uncomfortable, but using knee pads means I can kneel without problems.

As Mrodoc mentions, doing the exercises those nasty physios give you is vital, both before and after the operation, if you are going to rehabilitate quickly. A friend had a knee repacement at Hexham hospital last month, and was out of hospital the following day. He was playing bowls within a week, and has just left to go to Northern Ireland to play bowls for the English police team.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine who already has a number of 'replacement parts' had a new knee several years ago.  Just three weeks and one day after the op he did County to Lancaster.  Still caving now - we're beginning to wonder if he'll ever wear out.

Laurie

tony from suffolk said:
If I kneel on a hard surface it's pretty uncomfortable, but using knee pads means I can kneel without problems.
It's getting up afterwards that's the problem.... ::)

tony from suffolk

Laurie said:
tony from suffolk said:
If I kneel on a hard surface it's pretty uncomfortable, but using knee pads means I can kneel without problems.
Very true Laurie! That's why I've got one of these... (not terribly practical to take caving, I admit)

71dMWQAYpuL._SL1500_.jpg

Laurie

tony from suffolk said:
Laurie said:
tony from suffolk said:
Very true Laurie! That's why I've got one of these... (not terribly practical to take caving, I admit)

71dMWQAYpuL._SL1500_.jpg
Snap!  ;)

droid

I just don't do gardening.

If anyone complains I'll use Oliver Lloyd's excuse and call the garden a nature reserve..... :LOL:

Groundhog

Not sure if this helps but I had a hip replacement (Birmingham Hip Resurface) 8 years ago and have caved quite a lot with it as well as climbing and skiing. I have had no trouble with the hip, it's just the rest of me that's knackered now!

crickleymal

Leclused said:
A member of our club has a knee replacement after a kite accident and is still joining us on expeditions doing 12h+ trips going deep in the Anialarra system (400m pitches).  But I must say he is in good physical condition.

Beside some swelling he has no problems with the knee.

He is using 2 pairs of kneepads. A pair that is build in his undersuit (AV)  and a pair above.

A kite accident?