Bat issue

Alex

Hi all,

I have come into work this morning and there is a bat resting in the sink, what can/can I not do about obviously with no sink means no brews, so its a serious problem!

Is it just the case of leaving it until it leaves of its own accord?

Alex

caving_fox

Contact your local conservation officer at the council who will send a person around to release it into the wild? Ideally that would happen today and all the necessary training and forms would have been previously completed. You might want to bet on that?!

Contact an animal rescue shelter who might provide timely advise?

Pics or it didn't happen?
What species?

kay

Alex said:
Hi all,

I have come into work this morning and there is a bat resting in the sink, what can/can I not do about obviously with no sink means no brews, so its a serious problem!

Is it just the case of leaving it until it leaves of its own accord?

Some info on dealing with a bat indoors
http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/containingabat.html

This also gives the bat helpline number

Alex

Thanks Kay,

I have now resolved it by phoning the bussiness park estate office who sent a man and a box.

rhychydwr1

1 Do not tell anyone as it is illegal to disturb a bat.
2 With gloved hand remove bat and hang it up some where out the way.  It will fly off when it is ready.
3 Put on brew.

Alex

Apparantly this has been happening alot to various businuesses on the estate, the bats are being re-released into nearby woods, based on advice given to them.

ttxela

The mother-in-law recently had a bat in her living room (insert appropriate comment here  ;) ) Our neighbours have also reported bats in the house. Perhaps the weather is driving them indoors?

Big Jim

Its that time of year Im afraid. Often  bats found in houses around now are juveniles who have wandered from the roost (perhaps in the same property) through the open windows that we all have open because of the heat.  You dont have to 'keep your trap shut' or owt daft like that. A bat in the sink isnt at its usual roosting site. Best course of action would be to pick it up in a gloved hand and place in a box with plenty of air vents, then call local bat group / bat conservation trust for a local bat worker to come and collect it. They will examine it to check for signs of injury and either release it or take it into captivity until it is well enough to be released or even take it to the vets to be euthanased if required.

It isnt illegal to handle a bat without a protected species licence IF you do so in the interest of caring for a sick or injured bat but it isnt advisable for people with no experience of bat rehab to try and look after a sick bat themselves.

J

Slightly off topic but batish question  :sneaky:

I was asked today how does a bat give birth? :confused:  What they really meant was what position/where does a bat give birth?  and if it is hanging upside down (wrong for us but not for them I guess) high up in an Avon,  how do they stop the baby from falling to the floor?  :doubt:

Are there any film clips about?  :)

Amy

Really? You can't touch or move a bat there? I guess everywhere has it's weird laws...In Alabama if you touch a bat it's a death sentence for the bat - the bat is assumed to have rabies and killed/tested. Unless you have the rabies vaccination.

kay

Amy said:
Really? You can't touch or move a bat there? I guess everywhere has it's weird laws...I

I can't see anything weird about a law which says that if you have an animal which is threatened in the wild, then you shouldn't be able to interfere with it unless you know what you're doing.

Amy

kay said:
Amy said:
Really? You can't touch or move a bat there? I guess everywhere has it's weird laws...I

I can't see anything weird about a law which says that if you have an animal which is threatened in the wild, then you shouldn't be able to interfere with it unless you know what you're doing.
I didn't know bats there are endangered. We have soooo many here - we have a few threatened/endagered species but mainly people use best judgement. Here if it was in the house or such, most cavers would just simply move them back outside. In fact, you *can* move bats so long as you don't touch them (ex: nudge them into a shoebox, close, release outside) and they would do that. No law against trying to save the bats and keep them safe.