Bats in the Roof Space

grahams

Here's one of the latest additions to our household -
bat 001.jpg

We seem to have quite a family up there with flights out every few seconds and a fair pile of guano on the path in the morning. The roost is above the black oak beam and behind the white cladding and so is of no concern to us. A tawny owl sits in hope of a bat meal on the van roofrack every evening.

A question for the bat experts (can't seem to find the answer to this one on tinternet):

Is the bat roost a permanent feature i.e. do bats return to their roosts year after year?

owd git

In my limited knowledge at this time of year it would seem to be a maternity roost. and would be used again if access is not impeded. Big Jim will no dought reply soon.
O.G.  (y)

Big Jim

Looks like a Pip roost. Chances are at this time of year it is a maternity roost and the bats will probably be gone by late summer/early autumn but will return again next April/May time.  Try and do a count to see how many emerge and send records to your local Bat Group (details via Bat Conservation website or just google bat group and your county.

When I read your subject title I thought you had Brown Long eared bats which will be in the roof space, but most other species that use houses as roosting sights tend to be hidden away in cavity walls, gaps between roof tiles and sarking or under flashing which is what you've got here.

Jim