bats in Agen allwedd

hell little caver

hi as part of my uni course were look at bats and doing a case study and i was wondering what people knew about them? also if there are any other places in the beacons that have any bats? thanks hell

gus horsley

There are loads of places in the Beacons that have bats.  In the early 1980s I was involved in a bat survey of the part of the Beacons in carmarthenshire.  I can condense some of the results of that if you like.

H

hairy toe

hey hellie

Eglys Fean has bats.  Pippistrells and lesser horseshoes...... hope this helps.  also porth quite often has bats in the main entrance..... 

rhychydwr1

hell little caver said:
hi as part of my uni course were look at bats and doing a case study and i was wondering what people knew about them? also if there are any other places in the beacons that have any bats? thanks hell

I hope you have a bat license:

http://www.ndad.nationalarchives.gov.uk/CRDA/17/DD/1/quickref.html

I once did some bat ringing in Aggie.  Got a bo***king from the National Parks.

Rhinlophus hipposideros minutus are to be found in most caves in the Brecon Beacons.

SamT

You need to speak to Big Jim of this site, he's Derbyshires bat man.

ner ne ner ne ner ne ner ne - ner ne ner ne ner ne ner ne ...... Batman etc.  [sorry]

Big Jim

Hellie,

I Don't know much about the bat scene in S.Wales but you can give me a bell for general advice if you want. Adam has my mob no (or quite a few other SUSSites).

We are doing some survey in the Peak using Anabat bat detectors which we can leave in situ for 3-4 weeks at a time. Alas we only have 2 (cos they arent cheap) so hopefully we'll get some good data this winter.

Big Bat Eldon Jim
(as JB seems to prefer calling me)

rhychydwr1

All you bat catcher out there might be interesting in the following:

Managing Abandoned Mines for Bats by Richard E Shewin, J Scott Alyenbach and David L Waldien 2009  103 pp, illus,  SB.  Published by Bat Conservation, Austin, Texas.  No ISBN.  Available free of charge from:  jkennedy@batcon.org

I have reviewed but I am waiting for it to be reviewed by my peers before publishing it.

Rhys

I'm sure Helen would've been grateful of all the offers of help three years ago when she made the original post! ;-)

Rhys